Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Approaching record status

Posted by GAAlan z7b Atlanta (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 7, 02 at 22:53

There was an article in yesterday's paper about the drought here in Atlanta and the numbers over the four year span(beginning of 99 through end of 02).

It stated, "...since the beginning of 1999, Atlanta has recorded only 137.70" of rain...and that the normal total for a four year period is slightly more than 200..." "The four year record low is 157.39" from 1893 through 1896" "If the area does not average 5" per month from now till December we will set the record...these last four years could turn out to be the driest since record keeping began.."

The chance of our avoiding the record is not likely considering October is typically the driest month of the year. In fact last October was the driest in 107 years! From my own personal records, I have noted that my area of town has had only 1/8" of rain since August 16 and none since August 26. We are on an odd/even, no watering from 10am through 10pm even on your day, water restriction. Some cities are on a total outside ban.

Also from the article, "August was extraordinarily dry for both Atlanta and Athens. Atlanta got only .77" while Athens had only .14"... earlier this week Athens/Clarke county restricted outdoor watering to one day a week...."

All long term predictions say no end anytime soon!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Approaching record status

Well, if records were never broken we wouldn't bother keeping them. We have only had trace amounts since April, and only 6" during the rainy season. Our average rainfall is only 13" of course (it would take 4 average years here to equal one of your average years).

o

It is amazing to compare the "normal" amount of rainfall across different areas. I see that the New Orleans area is also way behind their average - but they've already gotten far more than Atlanta ever gets! But for their plants - plants that are used to more water - it is a drought.

o

We have had a little over 6" this year, 6 inches behind what we should have.

o

Here in CO, they are saying this drought is as bad as the dust bowl in the 30s. THis is the 4th year of drought. they say that droughts here usually run in 7 year cycles.

o

• Posted by GAAlan z7b Atlanta (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 02 at 13:09

Well, since miss Hanna passed nearby, we have made a nice dent in the deficit. I have recorded 7.50" of rain since September 13. If that article was correct we now have our necessary 5" for this month. On to October!

o

I believe the ranifall here to date is just under 7"-the norm is about 15"-roughly 1/2 of normal. Hope it snows soon!!

o
RE: Approaching record status in colorado

In Colorado that is, lol.

o

Tue, Nov 5, 02 at 16:12

Wow, I cannot believe how well we've done in collecting rain since my original posting. We had 8" in September, 6.70" in October(which is truly amazing) and so far this month 1.80", with 1.30" coming down today(its pouring rain as I write this). This is one time where I am thrilled to be proven wrong!

o

WOW! 16" and counting........ good for you Alan!

o

Wed, Nov 6, 02 at 12:41

Yesterday's finally tally of rainfall was exactly 2"! The front yard is like quicksand, you can sink up to your neck in a hurry!!

o

Mon, Nov 11, 02 at 21:02

The meaning of my title has now changed! We had another 1.40" of rain today(however its raining as I write!)so we already have 3.90 for November. With Septembers and Octobers rainfall totals we doubled our normal output of fall precipitation. Now, add what we have from November so far, and we are really soaked! Its just an amazing turnaround.

o

Yup, feast or famine!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here