Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zone 3/4 drought tolerant plant suggestions pls

Posted by Canadian_Kimmy Z4 Leduc,AB (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 02 at 12:59

Hi everyone, yep, it's hit here in Alberta too. Our poor farmers are even getting fundraising concerts, donations of crops for their animals, and are accepting donations from the food banks. My heart goes out to them all, and my question seems so unimportant next to their plights. Can you help with suggestions of zone 3/4 perennials/annuals for my garden next year? I have a full-sun slope, and it needs your suggestions.

Thanks everyone,
Kim
rayandkim@3web.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zone 3/4 drought tolerant plant suggestions pls

I'm actually Zone 4/5 but I have some suggestions.
1)Yarrow
2)Rudbeckia
3)Daylilies
4)Iris
5)Asters
6)Autumn Joy sedum
7)Peonies
8)Centaurea montana(Mountain Bluet)
9)Dianthus
10)Echinacea
11)Gaillardia
12)Monarda
13)Catnip
14)Poppies

Enough??

o

Most penstemons if they are hardy in your zone are quite drought tolerant. Mirabilis multiflora (wild four o'clock) has required little if any water in my garden.

As for bushes and trees, I've found Cercocarpus ledifolius (curl-leaf mahagony) to bed a good drought tolerant shrub.

o

Native prairie plants tend to be drought-tolerant, not surprisingly.
Some nice ones for the garden are:
Yucca glauca (native to southern prairies); also Y. filamentosa (native to NE US)
Purple prairie clover
coneflowers- Ratibida species
Pasture sage - Artemesia frigida
Sticky geranium (Geranium viscosissimum)
All the things suggested by Plantlady are hardy in your area, and some groups have representatives that are native to these parts (Gaillardia, Monarda, Echinacea).

o

I need help. I'm in the sixth grade and need help with a science fair project. I'm trying to see which grass is the most drought tolerant. I've collected a variety of sods and only have a month to do my experience. How can I conduct a good scientific experiment inside with heating lamps. Help, help. Stephen.

o

Stephen, you may want to look under growing under lights forum. This may help you in your endeavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here