Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stimpy926

time for new thread?- How is everyone doing lately

stimpy926
21 years ago

Some of us have been receiving enough rain, at least as far as the plants are concerned, though we're not out of drought yet. Today's paper reports another mild winter predicted, from the majority of meterologists, due to El Nino again. Although, another "Web Legend", popular Joe Bastardi, an accuweather meteorologist predicted that this could be the snowiest winter since '96. We now have an active East Coast storm track, and he sees the return of the nor'easter. We've already had a couple good coastal soaker storms. Also adding to the equation is a colder-than-normal Hudson Bay, which is a source of cold air for storms. However, as well all know, long range (and short range!) forecasts are notoriously unreliable.

I'll take precipitation any way we can get it!

P

Comments (3)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    21 years ago

Hey Paula! Me again! LOL

But I like discussing since a life-long hobby of mine has been meterology!

I have been observing the sudden change in weather for the past month or so and have taken note of the jet stream, ie., we're in a pattern that we haven't had for awhile - the "dual" jet stream, with a line to the south and one to the north. I think this is good news for many areas that received little or no snowfall last year - particularly those in the higher elevations... However, I don't look forward to any blizzards this winter...!! After the monstrosity of Jan. '96 (and then near 70° F temps not long after to cause floods from all that snow melting), I have had more than enough winter for my lifetime! LOL

We are starting to mimic that Fall of '95 precipitation pattern a bit. However, I will really start bugging out if Fall of '93 patterns emerge, with storms continually forming and moving out of the Pacific NW, that dive down into the center of the country and then track NE up the East coast. That pattern produced 17 ice storms for our area back in Dec. '93 - Feb. '94. UGH.

Interesting info about the Hudson Bay temp and its impact though.

• stimpy926
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Hi Jenny!
    That's interesting, what was going on in '93/'95 -
    I'll never forget, about that "blizzard of '96" - It hit this area about Friday p.m. if I recall correctly, but anyway, I remember on MONDAY, the weather people were uncharacteristically getting excited about a storm predicted to hit Friday. I remember soon-to-be-gone "John-Boy", of a certain local TV station, saw it, while he was vacationing in the carribbean. He flew home Monday, to track the event personally. Of course, he, and the station, sensationalize everything, I never watch them. I just happened to catch his version of things later on some weather show. My kids were home from school the entire week after it hit, and the last time that happened was back in the mid 60's, when I was roughly their age.
    Ahhh weather, always interesting to me as well...

• jenny_in_se_pa
    21 years ago

What was wild was watching the Weather Channel back then as they were forced to add new "colors" on their weather maps to illustrate the rapidly building snow here... LOL

They had defined stuff like 1 - 3", 2 - 4", 3 - 6", 6 - 8", 8 - 12", 12 - 18", 18" - 24", but then they had to create a 24 - 36"! urrrgggg..... Listening to the local weather at the time was sobering as I had gone to bed on that Friday hearing - "Well maybe 2 - 4"..." and woke up to "Looks like 6 - 8"..." and it just got worse from there... Oh gosh, I hope that doesn't happen this winter. Let the Pocono mountains get it! The skiers will be happy and the rivers will run full once again! :-D