Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most heat-tolerant plants

Posted by procrasticus (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 6, 10 at 21:09

Hi there,
I'm looking for plants with the highest heat tolerance you can think of, and I'm talking seriously hot. Like middle-of-death-valley-in-summer hot. I've recently learned that one barrel cactus type can survive in up to 156 degree fahrenheit (69C) heat, so you get the idea of what I'm talking about. Very hot growing conditions. Can anybody help me?

Thanks for looking, anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most heat-tolerant plants

What type of barrel cactus is that ? day lilies can survive 115 degrees Fahrenheit .

o

The cactus in question is Ferocactus wislizeni, "the fishhook barrel cactus, also called Arizona barrel cactus, candy barrel cactus, and Southwestern barrel cactus." Apparently, a rather common cactus. I found a study from the early eighties that found its incredible heat tolerance.

And thanks for mentioning the day lily. I might have to look into it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ferocactus wislizeni

o

There is a pine tree known as the "jack pine " from California I think , that has pine cones that will not open until it is 135 degrees Farenhieght . These seeds are the sole food of a bird callled the Jackpine warbler .

o

Cycads like Dioon edule are very heat and sun-tolerant. They grow well in the deserts of Mexico.

o

There is a pine tree known as the "jack pine " from California I think , that has pine cones that will not open until it is 135 degrees Farenhieght . These seeds are the sole food of a bird callled the Jackpine warbler.

That's a common thing is fire-prone ecosystems, actually. Doesn't mean it routinely gets 135 degrees in its habitat. Just means the cones won't open until right after a forest fire, which enriches the soil with nutrients and thins out the competition for new pine seedlings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here