Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garden_smart

What plants tolerate grey water?

Garden_smart
21 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am new to this place and hope that someone can help me. What I am trying to find out is what water plants can tolerate household grey water.

I am trying to set up a natural wetland garden, using a series of ponds, for the filtration of grey water so that I can then pump the filtered water onto grass and in ground plants. There for, hopefully, get around goverment restrictions on recycling grey water. By using pond liners and rock and gravel beds between the ponds I hope to filter the water till it is cleaned.

I need to find out what lilies and herbs etc can tolerate grey water straight out of the house and any sugestions about what plants are suited to other ponds in the system through to the final emptying onto the garden. Any plants that are eatable or have medicinal usages or are native to australia would be prefered, though not essential.

Also I need to know not only what plants are tolerant but also safe for the enviroment in case of spillage as I live close by a natural water caorse. I don't wish to be the cause of clogging up our river systems with unwanted plants and algies.

From what I have rescearched so far, I am lead to believe that it is acturaly illegal to use grey water on gardens in case of contemination of soil and water resoarces in Australia. If anyone knows about the laws concerning this could they also please let me know and if my idea would fall under those rulings.

Thank you.

Sponsored