Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are ollas worth it?

Posted by LullabyF360 8a (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 16, 13 at 11:16

I live in North Louisiana. My summers are hot, humid, & I go months without a drop of rain. As soon as water hits the ground, it evaporates before roots get a chance to enjoy a drink. I read up on how to make your own ollas out of terra cotta pots. I would like to use these for my young trees. I have several trees, both fruiting & flowering. From what I have read, they all recommend an 8" pot to make the ollas with for a tree of at least 6'. Would I need to use a larger pot, considering how my summers are? That is, if ollas are worth spending money on to make.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are ollas worth it?

The theory of using ollas is sound, so you may just need to decide if it is worth it for you.

I saw a similar alternative with gallon jugs of milk or water (poke holes in the jug near bottom and situate it near a plant or buried up to the neck like ollas). Leave the lid on so the built-up pressure will let the water out slowly. You could try the milk jug option for a few plants to see if you see some differences in growth. Keep a few plants without the jug so you can make a comparison, though for trees, it might take a while to see some growth differences.

If you then like it, then I can see how a 5 gallon bucket or larger tub with a pvc pipe sticking out, can be utilized in a similar fashion in case you want a larger reservoir. Even cat litter buckets, if you know anyone with cats.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here