Return to the Drought Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the Amazing dinosaur plant?

Posted by Carralluma CA (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 04 at 11:30

Hello every one. Lately ive been seeing the Amazing dinosaur plant for sale in some comerical websites. Its a plant that grows in Mexico and Texas and has the ability to dry up when it is dry and stay like this for fifty years has they say. It would come back to life in less then a day if you put it in water and dry up again when dry. What they wont mention is its reall name. Does any body know the reall name of such a plant? It could be found on google has the "Amazing dinosaur plant"

Thanks very much

Carralluma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the Amazing dinosaur plant?

LOL ... well I'm guessing Selagenlla lepidophylla also called the resurrection plant .. or perhaps Anastatica hierochuntica.

They are the only two I know off the top of my head.

Good Day ...

o

I have a cactus called "Dinosaur Back Cactus" that I purchased last year at the Desert Botanical Garden plant sale in Phoenix, AZ. Not sure if this is the one you're talking about. But it's really neat looking...its shape is very similar to a dinosaur's back.

o

• Posted by castnet 9Tx-Gal Island (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 11, 06 at 13:30

COULD BE THE SELAGINELLA PILIFERA. I GOT ONE IN 1973 AND STILL HAVE IT. ABOUT EVERY TWO YEARS I WILL THINK ABOUT IT, PUT IT IN A BOWL OF WATER AND WATCH IT GREEN UP. ONCE I LEFT IT IN A CABINET AFTER IT WAS DRY AND LEFT IT THERE FOR ALMOST EIGHT YEARS. FUNNY HOW IT DOES. THESE ARE COMMON IN THE BIG BEND AREA OF TEXAS AND NORTHERN MEXICO.

o

Does anyone know where to buy these plants? We want to buy several thousands. But I can't find any supplier.

I would be glad to get a list or something of suppliers of this plant.

Thanks a lot in advance!

o

In response to anonty's post:
You can buy them from American Scientific and Surplus at sciplus.com - it's very inexpensive.

In response to aztransplant's post:
I, too, recently bought a Dinosaur Back Cactus from Desert Botanical Garden plant sale in Phoenix, AZ, and I was wondering: Mine was developing small white spots for a time, but now that I've brought it inside from the cold, they seem to be getting better. Can you relate, or do you have any advice?

Here is a link that might be useful: The closest thing I have to a website

o

Hey,
Okay so after reading this, I feel like this is a dumb question, but are there any things one should know about taking care of this plant? Can it freeze? can it get too hot? does it need light in the present of water? I am really excited about getting one, I just want to make sure it really is as easy as i hear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and Fishy Plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Drought Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here