Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mojavegardener

Texas Sage - Texas Rangers

mojavegardener
19 years ago

I live in Inyokern California, high Mojave Desert, Zone 8. Bought a bunch of Texas Rangers and planted them. The bottom leaves are yellowing and falling off. Is this common for November in the Mojave?

Thanks

tippi48

Comments (7)

• The_Mohave__Kid
    19 years ago

Hello MG ...

In general the plants are evergreen during winter ... it is not uncommon this time of year to see some yellow leaves near the base but remember to keep these plants on the dry side as winter moves in ... once a week for established plants is more then enough in winter here in Souther Nevada ( Sunset zone 11 ) ... if you just planted the plants watering ( a week or so ) will be a bit tricky since new roots need more frequent water but the plants don't like to stay wet ... try not planting near a lawn edge or anyplace where water will drain to underground they don't like to be wet ... be sure to really get out and pry into the root zone and confirm your water is really getting in and that it is time to water ... this is very important with new plantings in the desert.

Mature plants can sometimes loose many or even all the leaves ... wait till spring and remove dead stems if need or the plants can be pruned down to the base if they were hit hard and died back a lot.

They need nothing in the way of fertilizer out here in Southern Nevada. I do not know of any pest that bother these plants where I live...they do like a lighter ( more sand ) soil .. and do well with salts since there leaves excrete salt via salt glands ... there tuff as nails down here buy I manage several hundred in very heavy clay soil ... high in salts including Boron and Sodium ... when the heavy soils are wet and it is cold I have had many plants go into shock and loose leaves... quite a few have died.

Get the Sunset Western Gardening book if you have not done so already ... check out your local extension service for free expert information ... How high is your elavation ? Are you in Sunsets Zone 8 ?

Keep in touch ... we need more post by Mohave Gardeners.

Good Day ...

• mojavegardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info Mohave Kid, they seem to be doing ok on the tips - actually still flowering. Elevation here is 2400 ft., so really high desert. Soil is sand, sand, sand, so I amend plantings with compost and whatever animal manure the neighbors and myself have. Chicken, goat, horse, it all works...I'll keep posting with our progress, as we just moved here in June. We have 2 1/2 acres, and I will be planting herbs and vegetables, as I am an esthetician, and make my own skin care products as well. Again, thanks, and I'll be sure to update my planting adventures in the Mojave!!
    /nt

• aztransplant
    19 years ago

I live in Tucson, AZ. These plants thrive here (and in Phoenix, too) with no soil amendments at all. And our soil here is some of the worst imaginable...either tough clay or sandy, rocky soil. Both with almost no organic material.

• mojavegardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for the note - actually, I've cut back on the watering (I'm an overwaterer anyways), and they are looking better, even though it's gotten down to 15 F here lately bbbbrrrrrr.....
    Thanks again

• adp_abq
    19 years ago

This is a tough plant. I *never* water it and it always looks good here in albuquerque, nm. I've had mine for about 3 years now.

• mojavegardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks adp abq, I've cut way back on the watering and they don't seem to be suffering. Actually, believe it or not, it's POURING rain here, almost never does this!! Pacific storm came all the way across the desert, so I'm really hoping for a bunch of wildflowers in a couple of months!
    Merry Christmas.

• lats11kbs_aol_com
    12 years ago

Plant was in a 6" pot 10 years ago...now 6' high....blooms always but now seeing yellow and dropping leaves...HELP

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County