Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julie_m_gw

Lawn replacement??

julie_m
17 years ago

Has anyone got any good ideas for what to replace a lawn with besides pavers (radiant heat is terrible here)& white or scoria rock which is unsteady to walk on. I'm looking for landscaping ideas that don't require any water AT ALL! Now that's got you thinking!!

Comments (9)

• macbirch
    17 years ago

I've been thinking and checking in from time to time to see what others have thought of. Tough one. Crushed granite would have the same problem as pavers. I've used boobialla as a lawn substitute but you can't walk on it comfortably and it wouldn't necessarily look right. It worked in that garden with a path around it but I can't do that sort of thing in this garden. Okay, still thinking. Oh, have you tried a search for native grasses. I'm sure there's been some work done somewhere on native species that would be hardier than what we usually use. And what about miniature liriope? Don't know about water requirements though. Lomandra. They're using it around here in the middle of roundabouts. You'd need a path though.

• beauxhaus
    17 years ago

I just tore out my lawn last weekend and have been thinking I'll use some nice packed sand to make a central walk path, and then just extend the sand to surround the plants I'm keeping. Maybe "sand" isn't the right term.. it's really fine, packed sandy dirt maybe, similar to what you might see in bocce ball courts throughout the Mediterranean. You can walk on it barefoot, and if you were to get the warmer colored variety, it wouldn't have the reflective heat quality of something lighter and brighter. Just a thought..

ps.. anyone know the possible name of the "sand" I'm describing? It's kind of camel-colored, and I see it used all over Southern California where other drought-tolerant and native landscapes have been installed. A proper name would be appreciated, if anyone has ideas.

• melissa_thefarm
    17 years ago

Just how short is water? Do you have flush toilets? Take showers? If so, I would imagine you can manage plants of some sort.

I totally agree lawns are a waste of resources, especially water where it's limited. I live in a dry summer area and am experimenting to see how little watering I can get away with with established plants. You have to water the first year with everything, but after that, not necessarily. If you prepare the ground well and keep a heavy organic mulch on your plants, many can go months without water. I must add that I have clay soil, water retentive, and a mild climate.

Plants are worth devoting some resources to, including mental ones. They eliminate that reflected heat, supply fragrance and oxygen, and are psychologically soothing for many people. After the first year I never water my lavender, irises, thyme, Tea and China roses, box, bay laurel; and then there are the out-and-out desert plants like yuccas, though they're not terribly comfortable plants in a small space.

I think people who are used to conventional gardens tend to overestimate how much water plants need. Perhaps this is because much of the western world's garden model comes from Great Britain, where there is water, and because gardeners have developed a habit of cultivating plants to grow as fast as they can, which calls for vigorous fertilizing and water to match. My experiences of the last couple of years have led me to suspect that many plants can be well grown with less water and fertilizer than diligent gardeners give them: they'll grow more slowly, but will be robust and healthy. For me if a rose takes three times as long to reach a certain size, but I don't need to water, spray, prune heavily, or replant it after a gale, then I think I have a good bargain in my garden.

So all this is to say, yes, do get rid of your lawn, but look for low water use plants to replace them, and don't believe that you will necessarily lead a deprived life as a result! Good luck!

Melissa

• xantippe
    17 years ago

Melissa, what an interesting theory: "My experiences of the last couple of years have led me to suspect that many plants can be well grown with less water and fertilizer than diligent gardeners give them: they'll grow more slowly, but will be robust and healthy. For me if a rose takes three times as long to reach a certain size, but I don't need to water, spray, prune heavily, or replant it after a gale, then I think I have a good bargain in my garden."

I have an intrinsic dislike of watering, both because I happen to hate doing it and because it seems like such a waste of drinkable water. I never water very much, for both reasons, but I often feel guilty. So I love your idea.

• melissa_thefarm
    17 years ago

xantippe,

Glad you like the idea. I used to live in Olympia, Washington, by the way, and got started on low-water gardening there because summers are so dry. I had a nice garden there, too. Do experiment, and let us know what happens!

Melissa

• dixielib
    16 years ago

Last year I moved into a townhouse with a small yard which was mainly grass. I covered it all with cardboard, newspapers, etc then mulch. I made raised beds which I filled with mushroom compost. I made four 4 x 12 foot veggie beds and the rest in flower beds. I planted mainly perennials and the veggies. It took alot of water to get the perennials going, but they took hold and this year are not needing extra watering despite the drought we are in. I use grey water alot to keep veggies going, occasionally use the hose with "new" water and lots of water from my rain barrels to keep veggies going. The perennials doing well without rain: iris, daylillies, rubeka, daisies, cone flowers, holyhocks, asters, jonquils, lillies (assorted kinds), mini-irises...and some assorted "grasses".

• heather_10
    14 years ago

beauxhaus,
    The "sand" is probably decomposed granite.

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

I'm putting in a drought tolerant herb garden, that will be in front of my beds of Old Garden Roses, that have shown that if mulched with 4 inches or more of bark will reduce water need so I can water only 1-2 times a month in summer, where I live near San Francisco, california
    Lux.

• luxrosa
    13 years ago

I've seen a beautiful gropund covering of small polished stones, c. half the size of a pea, but like all small stones it is hard to walk on. It was used in the area in front of a bench, covering a 4 foot wide by 8 foot long area. The rest of the garden was covered with redwood chips, the large sized ones that break down more slowly,
    and drought tolerant plants including sea lavender, which is has purple-lavender flowers, and is not a true lavender.
    -and true lavender.
    In our mediterranean climate this landscape would need no watering at all, except perhaps once or twice in the middle of our 3-4 months of annual drought, after the plants were mature.
    I agreee with Melissa, plants give so much to the environment, by increasing the good quality of the air, and green plants create a soothing environment for humans and animals such a birds and bees, benefit as well.
    I would not want to live without plants in my yard anymore than I would want to live in a parking lot, with a view of concrete.

Lux.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional