Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet_a

what a difference a season makes

janet_a
21 years ago

so about ten weeks ago i went down to leesburg; monocacy was wadable; potomac was almost too low to get the car on the ferry.

so today, one snow storm and an ice storm later, the monocacy is up over its banks, and the potomac was too high for the ferry to operate. i read over someone's shoulder a couple weeks ago in the frederick post that the potomac at point of rocks was so high they had to restrict recreational boating. the water's up to the parking lot at edward's ferry; it's up all the way over the ferry ramp on the VA side of white's ferry, and almost that high in the MD side.

the patuxent is twice as high this weekend as it was last weekend (but still not full--i think it's subject to flow controls.)

so i guess we change the forum subject from "drought" to "flood"? :)

Comments (2)

• animas
    21 years ago

The same goes for the West. Droughts are followed by floods. Four years ago, it rained darn near every afternoon from July to October. Then it stopped. It hardly snowed that winter. The three-year drought began. It's still on-going, despite some recent snows. (We need twice as much snow as 'normal' to make a dent in the lack of water in lakes and reservoirs. At least that's what the experts have said.) The tough part about parched ground is that it actually repels water. At least that's what Western clay soils do. It's maddening. Let's hope tonight's 70 percent chance of snow will pan out!

• stimpy926
    21 years ago

Feast or famine. Looks like you've had some animas!!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider