Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benkcdc

Is there a better way than bucketing washing machine water?

benkcdc
20 years ago

Last year our region had a long dry patch and we could only use grey water for the gardens. Some of the folks in these parts suffered sprained wrists or sore shoulders from lugging the water around.

I was hoping to use the washing machine pump to help out in the gardening. Has anyone used the washing machine for pumping water around the garden, or up to an elevated tank? I read somehwere that this can burn out the motor or pump if you are not too careful.

If anyone has any experiences I'd love to hear em. Cheers

Ben

Comments (8)

• Nancey
    20 years ago

my neighbor has her washing machine water emptiied into a large trashcan, then a hose at the bottom delivers water to her garden, but her yard is farly flat, slightly sloped to her advantage (away from the house).

• Cheryl_West_Australi
    20 years ago

I pump my washing water straight to the garden via a hose which is attached to the W/M outlet hose. Just make sure you are not trying to pump uphill, if using a barrel the barrel shouldn't be any higher than your current standpipe, or whatever your used water is pumped into at present.

Cheryl.

• Moonsinger
    20 years ago

I have my wm by the window in my laundry room and pump the water out via a hose attached to the back of the machine. It was like that when I moved in, thank goodness. As a result I have a huge Siberian Elm which volunteered and serves as great south facing shade in my hot NM summer, and has grown to be the biggest tree in my yard!

• diggy800
    20 years ago

I have a 30 gallon trachcan with a hose too. you can raise it up a few feet from the existing standpipe, I have mine raised about 2' off of the ground which is high enough to be able to drain the hose anywhere in the yard. There are a couple things to consider- you will need a screen to catch some of the lint, but don't just screen over the hose intake, or it could clog. I have the screen about halfway down the trashcan. also, don't use detergents with high sodium, bleach, or borax. they aren't so ggod for your plants. finally, make sure that the hose that pumps water into the trashcan is set up in such a way that if the can fills up all the way the hose is not sticking into the water. the pump can pull dirty water back into the washing machine. The ggod thing about this system is total cost is less than 40 bucks!

• missleslieann
    20 years ago

Are you guys buying the trash cans already with hoses or hose attachments or are you rigging it yourself? If so how is this done?

• Judeth
    20 years ago

For years I used a old syphoning hose. I pump the washing machine water into the utility tub then syphone it out to the garden. Finally the old syphoning hose, that I used with my wringer washer, gave up. Lee Valley in Canada, has a small plastic syphiner that goes onto the garden hose and will just sit in the bottom of the tub. When I want the water to go up the hill, I put a sump pump into the tub, hook the garden hose on and can even run the sprinkler

• dianne1957
    19 years ago

Ben,
    In Pennsylvania, We used to pump the washing machine water into pickle barrels. it is suprising how much water is used by a large laundry cycle! I knew someone that pumped it staight into a garden hose and watered from it.....but I still hauled the buckets of water. Not easy... but beneficial to the shrubs and flowers. My washer never missed a beat...and my flowers were appreciative because we were under a watering ban at the time. I live in North Carolina now and the rainfall this spring has been very little. I don't know where to purchase pickle barrels here...but large plastic trash cans should do the job just as well! The laundry soap...no bleach... seemed to keep the bugs down too. In Pennsylvania my washer hose was connected to another hose that pumped the water up and out. It was higher than the existing hose at the back of the washer....but the washer could handle it!
    Good Luck!
    Dianne

• Pam Honeycutt
    14 years ago

It shouldn't be too hard to put together Lowes system and have your washer running into it. Check it out. I plan to put in one of these for my washer. You can then use a hose or pvc pipe to run it where you want the water to go. My neighbor has a similar setup and waters her whole backyard with it.

http://www.lowescreativeideas.com/idea-library/videos/Rain_Barrels_0408.aspx

gemfire

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County