Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone growing a Tree Tomato Plant?

Posted by dontommyg 6b (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 15, 12 at 0:33

These are indigenous to south America and are supposed to be fast growers.
The tree has nice large leafs and also bears fruits that are almost egg shapped that go from yellow, green to red. The skin tastes aweful, but you can scoop out the fruit inside.

Either way I just picked one up today and was just wondering how old they have to be to bear fruit or at what height.

If you've never seen one check them out online as they are not too fussy to grow and do grow well, can be grown indoors, but fully grown they can get to about 8-10 ft high.

Thanks,

T

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone growing a Tree Tomato Plant?

I bought some tamarillo fruits(Tree tomato),I will sow the seeds on spring. If you have a plant,you will have fruits this year. I read that they don't like windy sites and hot temp.
Here is a link that might be useful:Tamarillo

o
RE: Anyone growing a Tree Tomato Plant?

I grew a dozen or so about 10 years ago. Started early spring indoors, put out for summer, then brought them back to the greenhouse as it cooled off in fall.
My experience was that they were very sensitive to cold (much more than tomatoes or Brugmansias) and never amounted- and unlike my other "tropicals" they did die in the GH before it even got cold out.
They just seemed to reminiscent to Brugs, but culture wasn't as simple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here