Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to prune young pawpaw tree?

Posted by soaht Fresno, CA 9B (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 2:19

Hi guys, I have a young 2 year old grafted paw paw tree and I want to know when should I prune it to encourage branching out? Right now it's only a single 3' tall twig that has just started showing signs of coming out of dormancy. If I do it should I top it in half above the graft line or I should just leave it alone to grow and will eventually branch out into the cone/triangular shape by it self? And when will it usually start bearing fruit from this grafted paw paw?

I'm aware that you need 2 for cross pollination of fruit bearing, but I have the cultivar "sunflower" that supposed to be self fertile. I know with another cultivar will be more productive, so I planned to graft another kind on to the one that I have now later to avoid having to plant another tree. Any help would greatly appreciated thank you in advance.

Seng

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to prune young pawpaw tree?

Seng,
"I should just leave it alone to grow and will eventually branch out into the cone/triangular shape by it self."That's your answer.From what I've read,they rarely need pruning.
"And when will it usually start bearing fruit from this grafted paw paw?"It usually takes 5-8 years to begin fruiting.
I also have a small Sunflower along with some other varieties that need to grow more. Brady

o

• Posted by soaht Fresno, CA 9B (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 27, 13 at 13:50

Thanks Brady, I will just leave it alone and see what will happen then if I need to do some pruning for correction I will.

o

For the younger years of my pawpaw trees I did not prune them at all. Now that they are established I top prune to so I can harvest the fruit more easily. Also, I have removed some branches that are crowded, weak, and could easily break with a heavy load of snow or high winds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here