Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flatcat2001

leaves for adding to cooking

flatcat2001
19 years ago

hi ppl;

I am looking for the names of trees I can plant in my large garden to provide leaves for cooking.

i am aware of lime leaves and bay leaves but I know there must be more. only interested in leaves not interesed in pretty flowers.

all info appeciated

Comments (14)

• ksrogers
    19 years ago

Herbs such as basil, but these are not trees.

• ashok_ncal
    19 years ago

Flatcat,

Toona sinensis -- "Chinese toon", "chop suey tree". Young growth said to taste like leeks when cooked. Discussed in a thread lower on this page.

Depending on how warm your climate is:

Murraya koenigii -- "Curry leaf tree". Leaves used to flavor South Indian cuisine.

Moringa oleifera -- Young leaves used like spinach, edible pods.

Copious information on these plants can be found on the internet and, probably, in threads on this site as well.

• solanum1
    19 years ago

There is also Cinnamon (bark of course but leaves can also be used like bay leaves), Allspice (rather hard to find).
    Aibika - aka Ibika (Abelmoschus manihot) has nice edible leaves (actually many Hibiscus and relatives have edible leaves).
    Not trees but larges bushes/vines with edible leaves are all the Piper - especially Piper sarmentosum. And there is the Ginger family (in particular Turmeric, Cardamum) - the leaves can be added to soups or used for wrapping.
    That'll do for a start.
    Rose-Marie

• cornelius
    19 years ago

again, not trees: oba (a/k/a perilla), in green or red forms. i prefer the red. can be used as a wrap for sushi, as salad 'greens', as a condiment with fish, etc. herb. raspberry leaves are also edible and pleasant. as kids, we occasionally chewed on sweet maple seeds, but i cannot vouch as to edibility.

• Barbaraga
    19 years ago

You can grow your own tea leaves with Camellia sinensis if it's hardy for you - really more of a shrub than a tree though.

• ksrogers
    19 years ago

Don't forget things like chives and onion tops too. My dad had a huge area devoted to chives and they looked like tall blades of nice green grass from a distance, when planted around the base of a crabapple tree.

• flora_uk
    19 years ago

You can make Dolmades with grape leaves. And teas from raspberry and blackberry leaves. Hawthorn leaves can be eaten in salads. Lime flowers (Tillia not the citrus) make a good tea.

• bruglover
    19 years ago

I thought raspberry and blackberry leaves must be dried first in order to be safe for consumption. Might want to check.

• opabinia51
    19 years ago

Spruce and in particular Blue Spruce is very edible. You use the young needles just like you would use Rosemary. Grape leaves are used to make Dolmanthes, this is not a tree but Dandelion leaves are loaded with nutrients. Ummm, let me get back to you on this one....Well, if you are also interested in edible flowers my all time favourite are Daylilies but Violas are also quite nice. Of course, you can eat Nasturtiums and Tomatoe Blossoms. Zuchinni blossoms are edible. You can also plant Common Camus (a member of the lily family)it is a little pepery.
    I'm just trying to think of more edible trees, I know that there are more.....Here we go:
    SUCCULENTS: Abutilon - Aeonium*Agave - Spp. -Leaves; Flowers- (all)Albuca Aloe Vera-Leaves; Flowers - (all)Amarican Aloe Spp.BegoniasEcheveria Spp.Haworthia reinwardtii (very slow growing)Hens & chickens Sempervivum tectorumHens & chicks E. cheveria Spp.Ice plants (Mesembryanthemaceae family)Jade Plant (Crassula family)Kalanchoe Spp.Live-forever- Orphine (Sedum purpureum)Mimulus F AuranticaOpuntias Spp.PortulacaSedum Spp.Spiderwort- Tradescantia pinetorum,occidentalisTradescantia crassula Link & Otto Yucca (Yucca species)Tradescantia (wandering jew)Desert Rose (Adenium obesum

Also, if you live in the Desert or a desert type area, the barrel Cactus of the Mojave Dessert can be cut open and the juices can be drunken.

• jimshy
    19 years ago

Whoa, careful on that last post!!

The Desert Rose, and all Adenium species, has toxic sap (it's a member of the Dogbane family that includes such killers as oleander) -- this is most definitely NOT EDIBLE!!

Jim

• greenwitch
    19 years ago

You can make tea from persimmon leaves. I believe this is a Japanese tradition. No pretty flowers, but a beautiful tree and lots of edible fruit. The astrigent types (Hachiya) can be dried and are really delicious (dried OR fresh).

Aloysia (Lemon verbena) grows into a tree - the leaves are very pleasantly lemon scented and make good tea and sachets. There is a relative, Aloysia virgata that is scented of almond - maybe it makes good tea also??

Olive leaves have antibiotic phytochemicals, you could probably make your own extract from them. Annona muricata (graviola, soursop) is also used as an extract, it bears fruit too. A tonic that I use has that plus Neem, Galangal (ginger family) and Chaparral as ingredients.

• greenwitch
    19 years ago

I just learned that the leaves of the Mexican type avocado tree is anise-scented/flavored and is used for cooking. Another with edible foliage is Passiflora incarnata (a twining vine not a tree).

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

Wow - what a great thread! Thanks for posing the question. How about Kaffir Lime. No flavor quite like like it. Chefs will want some.

• Dino_Tsapatsaris
    19 years ago

In my yard I have -- as edible trees/bushes -- false roselle (a hibiscus, from the Greek word eeviscus meaning slippery) kartouk, moringa, bay, tea and coffee (yes the coffe leaves can be used to make a tea.) I have a persian lime but I was of the thought one can't use those leaves for cooking. Is there a definitive answer on that? And while I know a lot about wild edibiles I never heard of eating olive leaves. I also have a hercules club but I wouldn't consider it edible but rather medicinal.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting