Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pidgeon peas

Posted by isobella Z9 Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 17, 07 at 6:10

I have 2 pidgeon pea's trees, in bloom and with looots of seed pods. My husband grew them from edible seeds, he passed now I would like to harvest the peas, but not sure if they are really edible, at what stage should I harvest them, some are already brown and others in various stages also blooming. It is a delightful little tree.
I am vegetarian, so would like to make a salad or stew with them.
All tips and advice are welcome.
tia
Isobella

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pidgeon peas

Sorry to hear about your husband's passing.

I usually harvest my pigeon peas around December, January when the pods have a light yellow like color and the peas feel tight in the pod. If you hold the tree branch to the sun and the pod is a light green color with tiny flat little peas, then the peas are not ready. The brown ones I cook with brown rice. That's the best way that I can explain it.

o
RE: pidgeon peas

Isobella:
You can also let the peas dry and harvest them when the pods are brown. In this case, they need to be soaked before cooking, and may be cooked with rice, or boiled with onions, thyme,tomatoes and garlic, and served as a side-dish. In this way, you will also have saved seeds for sowing more plants, preserving the memory of your husband whom I am sure you miss very much. Please accept my deepest sympathy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here