Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlieboring

My edible landscape garden

Charlie
11 years ago

I have a normal sized lot in the city. This year I should complete the initial phase of my edible landscape garden. The plan includes the following: 1. 10X20 vegetable garden (yard-long beans in back, two rows of swiss chards, two zucchini plants, two rows of bush beans, four tomato plants, mixed lettuce, parsley, 4 bell pepper plants, two jalopenia peppers); 2. Front yard landscape (sage, rosemarry, basil, 6 tomato plants, two bell peppers, two egg plants, two hot pepper, 2 bush cherry plants, 4 huckleberry plants, cherry tree, persimmon tree, strawberry patch, other non-edible flowers and plants); 3. back yard (hardy kiwi (2 female, 1 male on trellis), fuzzy kiwi (2 female, 1 male on trellis), 2 fig trees, two rasberry bushes, 2 jujube trees, 1 apricot tree, two peach trees, 1 cherry tree, two asian pear trees, two paw paw trees, plum tree, strawberry patch, raised bed (about 60 square feet with ground cherries, edible flowers, 2 goji berry plants, marigold flowers). Next to the raised garden I am placing a honey bee hive. I have built 2 mason bee houses to attract mason bees. I still have a couple of small spots to add a couple of bushes that can support partial shade.

Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• soaht
    11 years ago

Blueberries bush or pineapple guava bushes, these guava are not tropical at all so they well do fine in your zone and are very cold hardy.

• auntyskitchen
    11 years ago

Yes, I have a suggestion. Photographs please. Also, I think your garden would look a lot nicer if you didn't plant in rows. Most plants are happy to live alongside a stranger.

• Charlie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Aunty: In the spring I will upload pictures. I have three sides of the house landscaped and have different types of flowering bushes and flowers. Among thos plants, I plant my edible items. In the backyard I and a little orchard with the trees scattered all aound.

• TedTimmis
    11 years ago

Hey Charlie,

Your garden sounds pretty cool. I have been working on my own edible landscape as well and I do have a couple of suggestions. For your areas with part sun, consider service berries (aka Saskatoon berries or June berries).

Also, although you are growing raspberries, I would definitely have a triple crown thornless blackberry bush. Both the service berries and black berries are very easy to grow and taste great.

Another plant to consider is the currant bush. I think the berries are delicious although not everyone likes the taste. This plant will tolerate shade and like the others is easy to grow.

Any decent garden should also have a walking path, a water feature, wind chimes and ornamentation, and a place to sit. If you include these things, I think you will enjoy your garden a great deal more.

Finally, I agree with Aunty Kitchen. You need to share some photos even if it is winter. Good luck!

• Charlie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

TedTimmis: I am improving my yard in stages. I have the walking path made from concrete pavers, but I put them too far apart and allowed grass to grow between them, which I mow. This makes walking difficult and need to improve the path. I am waiting until I put in my raised garden bed, which will run along side some of the path. I have wind chimes and a bird feeder current hanging from one of my two dogwoods. Unfortunately the dogwoods are not in good locations and I am taking them out this spring. I have a bench in a corner area next to a fig tree, kiwi trellis and a azelea bush. I need to put in a water feature, build a bird house on a pole and line my beds with landscape blocks. I currently have a small bird bath. My next two large projects for the spring are the raised garden bed built with landscape blocks and another kiwi trellis.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!