Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best berries for the south ? louisiana

Posted by greenman62 9b (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 10:05

I live in New Orleans and am looking for raspberries or something similar to grow.

i know some have overwinter requirements, some years it never freezes here at all? ZONE 9b

i see a few people selling seeds for loganberry, Black Raspberry , Olallieberry
some at ebay, some at tradewindsfruit and other places
i thought the seeds go bad in days ?

i am looking mainly for taste, but productivity in a small space would help too.

any ideas ?

Anyone have cuttings to trade ?
i have lots of stuff, papaya, guava, malbar spinach seeds, also medicinals..., satsuma cuttings too

thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best berries for the south ? louisiana

The berries you mentioned are mostly for northern climates. You may be able to grow blueberries depending which part of LA you are in. Blackberries are great. Some other fruit to try would be kiwi, banana, and grapes (all do well in small space if trellised (bananas don't need trellis)

o
RE: best berries for the south ? louisiana

maybe something like goji berry, if you go for a black berry go for rubus fruticosa '' thornless evergreen'' its a very vigoriious thornless blackberry that is a very heavy cropper. Japanese wineberry has thorns, lower yield but it is the most ornamental one with the best taste.

some lemon grass species (cymbopogon citratus) are also hardy in your zone and provide good taste and reliable crop. maybe get perilla which is also a fast grower.

some opuntia species are thornless and have edible fruits and pads. amaranthus species that have edibles.

some other tropical/subtropical stuff would be Feijoa sellowiana, Eriobotrya japonica, Citrofortunella microcarpa, Persea americana, pomegranate etc.

All trees take a while to produce a worthwhile crop so i would go for bushes, cultivars and shrubs/ climbers like kiwis and blackberries, goji berries etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here