Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nothwehr

Need suggestions for edible shrub

nothwehr
12 years ago

The link below shows two images of the current landscape scheme for the front of my house which was established 2 years ago. The beds in front of the house contain the following:arbor vitae, china girl holly, english yew, azeleas red/pink, globosa spruce and stella dora lilly.

Not long after these were planted one of the yew shrubs (to the left of the steps) died and I have yet to replace it. More recently I have become interested in edible landscaping and am leaning toward removing the yew to the right of the steps and adding in two edible shrubs to the left and right of the steps to replace both yews. The question is what type of shrub to plant? Note that the front of the house faces east and gets around 4 hours of direct sun per day depending on time of year. The space is 3-4 in diameter. Some thoughts I have had: currants, gooseberry, blueberry, juneberry or bush cherry. Because it is the front of the house, the attractiveness of the shrub/bush is a major consideration. I'm not so enthusiastic about the soil prep required for blueberries but would consider it. My zone is 7a and I live in Maryland. Many thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: front of house

Comments (5)

Sponsored