Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Short ground cover herb?

Posted by carlyroseanne Hawaii (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 22, 13 at 16:02

I'm planning on doing a front yard food garden that's both functional and beautiful. I'll have stepping stone pathways between beds and would like to grow some sort of ground cover to act as a "living grout".

Something edible and/or medicinal, short, can handle a bit of traffic. Any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Short ground cover herb?

My suggestion Creeping thyme

This might help too http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/grdcvr/msg0517120026854.html

o

Would Creeping Thyme grow in Hawaii? It's not a tropical plant.

o

Creeping thyme grows well in my sub-tropical los angeles garden, so it can handle heat, not sure about humidity.

Pennyroyal grows well in lawns and very fragrant, but is not edible. (insecticide, an abortificant) Some chamomile. Red clover is a great medicinal/edible. And don't forget dandelions! Maybe wood sorrel. Purslane is very nutritious. Not sure which of these might grow where you are.

o

I have an interest in this topic as well. We have hit a budget snag. We have over 1.4 acres, and it's not necessary to put edibles in the front yard because there are orchards and raised beds in back.

In front, we will have a line of dwarf citrus, creeping rosemary, Nasturtiums and Amaranthus, but the lawn area is the problem.

DH wants a putting green there. Artificial turf. Money stream going elsewhere, so that will need to wait. This is in the front, and easily viewed by passers-by, so I'm liking all of your suggestions. Do any of these have the ability to fill in a lawn size space? DH does NOT want to mow.

I forgot you can eat Dandelion Greens. Just Rounded-up quite a few of them. Shrug. More will come.... :-))

Suzi

o

I plant a rosemary that lies down near the ground, but I do not know the name.

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 15:48

golden purslane! I can't wait to get mine going this year. Likes hot weather, and very ornamental compared to the weedy kind.

I'm not sure of it's life cycle outside of the 4 seasons world.

I got my seeds for this at pleasant valley farm I think.

picture:

http://content.outsidepride.com/images/products/detail/herbseed/purslanegolden.jpg

o
forgot to add

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, May 10, 13 at 15:49

leaves can go in salad, but we prefer them in stirfry, stems too. Very nutritious

o

My thyme grows fine with humidity in zone 8b.

o

Edible ground covers we've been looking at for a zone 7b garden:

Corsican mint, prostrate rosemary, creeping thyme, golden creeping oregano, Lingon berries, sweet woodruff, wintergreen, nodding onion, bunchberries.

list of sources:

Richter's, victoryseeds dot com, mountain valley growers, Raintree nrseries, tiny seeds dot com, darcy from the forest dot com. Haven't verified the reputations. Buyer beware, caveat emptor, your mileage may differ, batteries not included, no warrantee expressed or implied.

o

Mint if you can confine and control it though its often invasive there are a lot of varities, some that grow slower than others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here