Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wanted: ideas for something to grow on the fence

Posted by leafwhistle z5 Chicagoland (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 16:13

There's a chainlink fence with those green and white plastic strips interwoven into it between our yard and the neighbors north of us. There's a bit of a berm several feet in front of the fence (on the south side). There are a few smallish (10'?) deciduous trees on our side of the fence. We're renting, so I don't know what kind of trees they are yet. The neighbors have a swimming pool in their back yard, so there are no plants on the far side of the fence.

I'd like to grow some sort of edible-producing vine that will camouflage the awful plastic. We do have the south side of the fence. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wanted: ideas for something to grow on the fence

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 30, 05 at 21:00

Grapes, hardy kiwi (probably your best for coverage, but don't expect fruit for a number of years), akeiba, passionflower incarnata (though I haven't gottten one to perennialize yet, they are supposedly hardy) will all do what you ask (with grapes being the fastest bearing). For unusual you may try goji (wolfberry). Were it me I'd find a good variety of thornless blackberry (a long vining type) and train that on the top of the fence.

But as you can see, you do have some options.

~Chills

o

Why not peas or asian foot long beans (in the pea family) they have lovely, and lovely-smelling purple flowers.Follow peas with beans. I make these suggestions because you are renting and these are not invasive, are annuals, and you can enjoy them in a couple months.

o

I picked up a packet of loofa gourd seeds the other day... I am looking into beans, too. Thanks for the suggestions!

o

What about malabar spinich. it is also very pretty.
Sylvia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here