Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild ginger

Posted by cornelius se MI (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 10, 05 at 16:15

is this (canadensis) edible at all? does it have any of standard ginger's medicinal value? it grows annually in my yard, though it's been 2-3 years since any seed pod, after a dry-weather dieback (my backyard is so shaded that wild ginger can go until frost if water is available summerlong).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild ginger

Don't eat wild ginger (Asarum species). Although it's listed in many books as having been used as a substitute for wild ginger, it contains (like many members of its family of plants) aristolochic acid which is toxic to the kidneys and probably carcinogenic. A significant number of people, especially in Europe in the early 90s, developed renal interstitial fibrosis which lead to permanent kidney failure as a result of taking Chinese herbal preparations containing aristolochic acid. Also some of them developed bladder cancer which was thought to be related to the herbal supplement.

So taste if you will, but don't eat it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here