Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blackrose11

Food Forest Garden

BlackRose11
13 years ago

I am planning on making a food forest garden. However, the property I live on is a small suburban home (1 acre), and I need help deciding what plants to buy. Here are the unplanted and planted plants I have in my garden:

Backyard:

Orange

Lemon

Lychee (Dead though)

Blueberries (died from heat)

Passionvine (fruiting one, died from cold)

Non fruiting passionvine bought for attracting butterflies (Dead from caterpillars overreating it)

Chinese Elm (deoration, dormant right now)

Pineapple Guava

One other tree that I forgot what it's called (Dormant)

Brocoli (Only living plant in the vegetable garden other than overgrown grass)

Frontyard:

Nothing yet other than trees that already came with the property and a dead papaya tree.

Unplanted:

Traveller's Palm

Starfruit

Cassia tree (to attract butterflies so they can lay their eggs, had a sulphur butterfly caterpillar on it, but got eaten by lizards)

Fig tree

Banana (forgot to plant a long time ago, dead from cold, hopefully it comes back)

Comments (4)

• BlackRose11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plants I've decided to get:

New blueberries (and plant them by a water source this time, one of the blueberries I've decided on are the pink lemonade blueberries, look good as a decoration and a desert item.)

Petunias

Butterfly bushes

Milkweed (even though some of my past milkweed is growing in the backyard)

Don't know anything else.

• BlackRose11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't edit messages here sadly, so I'm gonna keep having to post so much... D:

I have decided on pawpaws both for fruit and to attract butterflies.

• pattyloof
    13 years ago

Do you like asparagus? Once it gets started it's really easy to take care of and is gorgeous in the fall.

• deannac
    13 years ago

Lol, you're too funny...sounds like you've got a plant mortuary going there!
    I'm in Oviedo...hi neighbor!
    A note on blueberries, treat them like azaleas! They LOVE high acid and grow in pine mulch! (not the clumpy bark, the shredded stuff) JUST pine mulch! You can get a yard, which is a pickup truck FULL at Bolling Hills for $18, which is on Mitchell Hammock Rd just west of 434, you know, the sod and mulch place (I'm adding a bit of coconut husk to retain water. Let me know and I can meet you at the post office or something...I'm to tired to stalk anyone and I'll give you a grow brick so you can see how well they retain water! 5x more water than mulch!)

Loquats grow anywhere, blueberries (good choice, i'm putting in a hedge of them SOON) Blackberries, guava (cattley smell like a litterbox if the fruit lies on the ground) Oh, heck...do you have a FB page? If so, let me know and I can supply you with all the stuff I know (and have to GIVE away)...want a g'zillion double tuberose?

There's also an Oviedo co-op, which can give you a lot of ideas. Pineapple do well here, papayas are a huge dissappointment. I'm from S. FL and always had them. Here, they grow beautifully, set TONS of fruit...and FREEZE just before they ripen and you lose the whole stinkin lot...NOT FAIR! I tried to cut the fruit and let it ripen in a dozen different ways...I got mush.

I have 3 (only 3) Macadamia seed left..I'll give you one and we can compete! I had 2 come up and the tree rats got them, but I have candlenut, which is a first cousin to macadamia and it's fine here.

Hmmm, what else...OH! muscadine grapes! Other varieties grow here very well, but the muscadine has a thick skin that protects the fruit from SOME bugs, take brutal heat and are indigenous to FL, so they'll grow wherever you throw them...they make great jam and better wine!

FYI...very cool thing. If you like southern peas (crowder/field, blackeye, purple hull) you can grow them right in your yard as a ground cover, pick a mess for dinner, use your mower to mow them down, they'll come back for a second dinner AND fix nitrogen into the soil so grass comes back!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?