Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crandall black currants: transplant or start new bushes from cutt

Posted by margi1533 z8WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 17:57

I have two Crandall black currant bushes that are gloriously fragrant in spring that I would like to move closer to our back door. Also, the place where they are presently planted is really too small for them. One bush in particular has grown into a huge "forest" of canes that are now over 7 feet tall.

I have recently cleared a border that would be perfect new home for these bushes, but I am wondering if I would be better off just taking fresh cuttings from the hugely luxuriant bush and starting all over again instead of trying to get all the roots out and transplant the bushes as they are.

Also, since I have more space in this new area, I could plant more than two bushes if I went the route of taking cuttings. Unless this is a bad idea, that's what I'd like to do, but I still have some other questions.

How long should the cuttings be?
Should I just stick the cuttings straight into the soggy Pacific Northwest ground, or should I attempt to root them by sticking them in a bucket of water first?
Should I do any other pruning of the pieces I cut, or should I simply cut unbranched whips and use those?

As I recall, when I first bought the two original currants from Raintree, they fruited the very first year even though they looked like skinny dead sticks when I got them. I really love these bushes, with their beautiful fall color, terrific clove fragrance in spring, and tasty big black berries in late summer.

Thanks for any answers you can give to my questions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crandall black currants: transplant or start new bushes from

I am not familiar with the variety Crandall but blackcurrants are one of the easiest shrubs imaginable to grow from cuttings. Cut some 12 inch lengths at any time of the year and stick them in the ground. They will grow. (Forget the bucket of water.) I sometimes use blackcurrant cuttings as pea sticks and by the time the peas are finished I have a row of new currant bushes. In fact I now avoid using currant sticks because I end up having to haul out well rooted shrubs I don't need. By the way if you have a forest of 7 foot canes maybe you need to prune. BCs are easy to prune. Just remove all the stems which fruited last summer. I find the easiest way to prune them is to harvest by cutting whole stems of ripe fruit and sit somewhere comfortable to strip off the berries. You avoid hours of shuffling amongst the bushes with a bent back and you remove the old wood all in one process. WARNING - this advice about cuttings is obviously predicated on your having healthy parent currants free of virus.

o

Thank you so much, Flora, for the encouragement to do what I hoped I could do: start over with fresh new cuttings.

Also, thanks for the advice about pruning. The "forest" of canes definitely needs to be cut back anyway, and yes indeed, it's a very healthy plant! And your method of combining pruning and harvesting sounds like a real back saver.

Thanks for responding.

o

I realise I forgot to mention layering which is very easy with BCs. In fact if you grovel about under the bushes a bit you might find they've layered themselves in places.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here