Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margi1533

Crandall black currants: transplant or start new bushes from cutt

margi1533
14 years ago

I have two Crandall black currant bushes that are gloriously fragrant in spring that I would like to move closer to our back door. Also, the place where they are presently planted is really too small for them. One bush in particular has grown into a huge "forest" of canes that are now over 7 feet tall.

I have recently cleared a border that would be perfect new home for these bushes, but I am wondering if I would be better off just taking fresh cuttings from the hugely luxuriant bush and starting all over again instead of trying to get all the roots out and transplant the bushes as they are.

Also, since I have more space in this new area, I could plant more than two bushes if I went the route of taking cuttings. Unless this is a bad idea, that's what I'd like to do, but I still have some other questions.

How long should the cuttings be?

Should I just stick the cuttings straight into the soggy Pacific Northwest ground, or should I attempt to root them by sticking them in a bucket of water first?

Should I do any other pruning of the pieces I cut, or should I simply cut unbranched whips and use those?

As I recall, when I first bought the two original currants from Raintree, they fruited the very first year even though they looked like skinny dead sticks when I got them. I really love these bushes, with their beautiful fall color, terrific clove fragrance in spring, and tasty big black berries in late summer.

Thanks for any answers you can give to my questions.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area