Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leogeo_gw

Plating a tree, hit water

LeoGeo
12 years ago

I was digging a hole for my new Pomegranate a few feet away from the stump of a recently felled Chinaberry tree when about 3 feet down the limestone started to get a little soft. Sure enough, 6 inches later (3.5 to 4 feet down) I had hit full blown water. I had called 811 and the pipes were marked before digging & the water is clear and doesn't smell, so I assume it's groundwater. Although I am on septic, (tank is about 25 feet away, leach field starts about 30-35 feet away) so effluent can't be ruled out totally.

My main question is this: Can a pomegranate be planted where the water table is this high? Or will it just die in a few years?

The first 3 to 4 feet of soil do not stay waterlogged long after a rain and I never notice pooling water at ground level. There is a peach and a plum that I planted last year about 15 and 20 feet away and are still doing fine (didn't notice water when I was digging their holes, but we were in a bad drought then). My neighbor also has an established 15-foot pear about about 15 feet away that is very healthy.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County