Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moringaplace

Stevia the sugar plant!!!!

moringaplace
11 years ago

Health and safety

In 2009, FDA considered "Rebiana (rebaudioside A) to be Generally Recognized As Safe (GRAS)".[49][50] The report includes a detailed list of international studies, references, and chemical analysis.[49]
Two 2010 review studies found no health concerns with stevia or its sweetening extracts.[51][52] In addition, a 2009 review study found that stevioside and related compounds have anti-hyperglycemic, anti-hypertensive, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, anti-diarrheal, diuretic, and immunomodulatory actions.[53]
The European Food Safety Authority evaluated the safety of steviol glycosides, extracted from the leaves of the Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni plant, as sweetener and expressed its opinion on 10 March 2010. The Authority established an Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI) for steviol glycosides, expressed as steviol equivalents, of 4 mg/kg bodyweight/day. On 11 November 2011, the European Commission allowed the usage of steviol glycosides as a food additive, establishing maximum content levels for different types of foods and beverages.[54]
Preliminary human studies suggest stevia may affect blood pressure,[55] although another study has shown it to have no effect on hypertension.[56] Indeed, millions of Japanese have been using stevia for over thirty years with no reported or known harmful effects.[57] Similarly, stevia leaves have been used for centuries in South America, spanning multiple generations in ethnomedical tradition as a treatment for diabetes mellitus type 2.[58]
In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) evaluated experimental studies of stevioside and steviols conducted on animals and humans, and concluded "stevioside and rebaudioside A are not genotoxic in vitro or in vivo and that the genotoxicity of steviol and some of its oxidative derivatives in vitro is not expressed in vivo."[59] The report also found no evidence of carcinogenic activity. Furthermore, the report noted "stevioside has shown some evidence of pharmacological effects in patients with hypertension or with diabetes mellitus type 2",[59] but concluded further study was required to determine proper dosage. The WHO's Joint Experts Committee on Food Additives has approved, based on long-term studies, an acceptable daily intake of steviol glycoside of up to 4 milligrams per kilogram of body weight.[60]
A 1985 study reported that steviol, a breakdown product from stevioside and rebaudioside (two of the sweet steviol glycosides in the stevia leaf), is a mutagen in the presence of a liver extract of rats pretreated with a PCB blend[61] � but this finding was criticized.[62] Over the following years, bioassay, cell culture, and animal studies have shown mixed results in terms of toxicology and adverse effects of stevia constituents. While reports emerged that found steviol and stevioside to be weak mutagens,[63][64] the bulk of studies show an absence of harmful effects.[65][66] In a 2008 review, 14 of 16 studies cited showed no genotoxic activity for stevioside, 11 of 15 studies showed no genotoxic activity for steviol, and no studies showed genotoxicity for rebaudioside A. No evidence for stevia constituents causing cancer or birth defects has been found.[65][66]
In relation to diabetes, studies have shown stevia to have a possible trophic effect on β-cells of pancreas,[14] to improve insulin sensitivity in rats,[67] and possibly even to promote additional insulin production,[68] helping to reverse diabetes and metabolic syndrome.[69] Stevia consumed before meals significantly reduced postprandial insulin levels compared to both aspartame and sucrose.[70] A 2011 review study concluded that stevia sweeteners would likely benefit diabetic patients.[51]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevia

Comments (13)

• Kevin Reilly
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I grew it in San Jose (9b) this summer, I thought the cold killed it but maybe it is just short lived. It doesn't taste great IMO, tastes like artificial sweetener (ironic no?)

• moringaplace
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok,my friends,I think everyone need some details about Stevia Plant.
    First:Stevia is more sweet in the morning.
    Second:If you have cholesterol or diabetes,eating two fresh leaves a day,in six month all this problems going out.
    Third: When you collect Stevia for dried,the best time is with Fool moon.At that time ,all the chemical of this plant or any other are in the top or the plant.
    Four:The plant can live between four and seven years,and from the same plant you can have between 2000 to 5000 new plants in the life time of the plant.
    Fifth: The best time to collect leaves to dried and use as a sweetener is when the weather is cold.
    Six:Stevia can grow ,even in Yukon ,Alaska(inside,off course),in pots.
    For more information,be free to cal me at any time at 561-633-8751 or send a email at moringaplace@yahoo.com or come to visit us in 1021 C Rd. Loxahatchee,Florida,33470
    I`m enjoy to help any body with our three main special plant like Stevia,Moringa Oleifera and Comfrey.
    George

• stevia360
    9 years ago

Dear Friends,

The 6th Stevia Global Summit India 2014, 20th July 2014, New Delhi a comprehensive conference on the stevia value chain, with important insights covering stevia applications in the Food & Beverage sector, Stevia Regulatory Issues, Stevia market Trends, Stevia product launches, Stevia investments and developments taking place in cultivation, it will bring together leading R&D, innovation, new product development (NPD), marketing and food safety, Quality assurance professionals to discuss, innovate, knowledge share and shape the future of Stevia industry into the new decade. Visit: www.steviaglobalforum.org

Contact: steviaglobalforum@gmail.com, +91 9891988880, 9811988880

Here is a link that might be useful: Stevia Global Forum

• bella20128
    9 years ago

This is absolutely amazing! My climate is about a 9 I was wondering where I can get seeds to try and grow stevia?

• theChangeling
    9 years ago

Thanks moringaplace for the information. I just bought a spindly little stevia plant and have little idea what to do with it. I just got it so my daughter could try a leaf and be amazed.

• Edymnion
    9 years ago

You can buy stevia plants from most big box retailers these days. Last year I saw it all over Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc.

• Yolanda
    9 years ago

I worked at a nursery for 8 months and got some of the owner's throw-away plants. I was thrilled to get a whole tray of old stevia. I killed the first stevia plant I bought years ago from Home Depot. But, I never got the sweetness when I put the stevia leaves in my tea. it DOES taste artificial. And, even though I was able to overwinter the plants for 2 years, I gave up since I didn't find them useful. Maybe you have to dry a LOT of the leaves and then powder them to get the sweetness.

• drmbear
    9 years ago

I drink lots of tea I brew from the herbs in my yard, and I like and use stevia - fresh in the summer growing season, and dried in my tea blends during the winter. The sweetness in stevia doesn't really come out well in the typical three or four minute steep. I learned from a midwife years ago about drawing out the most beneficial elements in herbal teas that they should be steeped for a longer time. I am usually steeping overnight, or all during the day while I'm at work. I usually then put it in a bottle in the fridge or heat some in a cup to drink. The sweetness in stevia comes out nicely in blends with other herbs and things with the longer steep.

• garyfla_gw
    9 years ago

Hi

I've grown stevia for many years even before it was okayed by the FDA lol

Grows very easily for me and off sets are very easy. Does require a lot of water so I grow it in pots but do have a small bed started in my sand lol

I wanted to use it mainly for iced tea but have never found an effective way to get the sweetness.. Drying and chopping was best Mostly use it on salads

moringaplace i' m diabetic and had no effect on my sugar levels. Still have to rely on metformin and Januvia daily. I love it mixed with peppermint on ice cream lol There seems to be a form that produces a bush ,therefore more leaves but have been unable to locate one. gary

• Liz Gallardo
    8 years ago

I grew stevia for a few years, and found that muddling it like one would muddle mint was the best way to get the sweetness. I found it too sweet and a tiny bit went a long way, so I don't grow it any more. The space is better used for other things in my garden.

• zzackey
    8 years ago

How do you muddle?

• drmbear
    8 years ago

I get lots of sweetness from the stevia when I make herbal teas, but I steep my tea for longer times. I usually pile handfulls of herbs in the teapot, including the stevia, maybe some green tea, and then I pour on the near boiling water. I let it steep until cool, then pour into containers and place in the fridge. I almost always then brew a second pot, sometimes adding something, and steep it again overnight. In the morning I mix the first run and second run. With just a sprig of stevia I get a very nice sweetness that goes great with all the other herbal flavors I may include in any particular pot. It works just as well dried in the herbal blends I preserve for winter use.

Sponsored