Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blueberry and strawberry question?

Posted by amandasmith911 6 INDIANA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 3:59

can blueberries and strawberries be planted in the same bed?

i have an 60ft long ,4ft wide strip of land beside my driveway between me and the neighbor. it is full sun. i have been trying to decide for the last three years what to plant there. i have always wanted blue berries and strawberries and that spot is full sun, so i was thinking of blueberries and strawberries and maybe some catmmint and flowers. would this work together?

if it will work what are some other suggestions to plant with it? it will be highly visable from the orad so i want it to look good too.

thank you,
amanda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blueberry and strawberry question?

No.. This same qestion was just asked very recently. Both require LOTS of sun, and blues like very acidic soil, whereas strawberries don't.

o

I am going to poach this thread if you don't mind; Can blueberries produce fruit in Westchester, Ca.? It is pretty warm most of the year, and all the plants I have seen require some number of cold hours to produce fruit. Any varieties that like southern California sun and heat?

o

The FRUIT TREE forum also has many strawberry/blueberry posts..

o

I probably wouldn't plant hybrid strawberries with blueberries, because both are particular and demanding, but you could try wild wood strawberries under the blueberries. (Fragaria vesca, but the running type, not the alpine type) The ones in my yard run everywhere, love the shade, and are not picky at all about soil. The fruit isn't big, but it's packed with flavor and is prolific. I'd just treat the blueberries with what they need, and let the strawberries fend for themselves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here