Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beauty between the harvest and planting

Posted by caryhson1 8a garland tx (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 7:33

Hello fellow garden enthusiasts,

I'm new to this forum, and gardening for that matter. With a lot of research and help from this and other helpful "garden sites", I'm well on my way to starting my first vegetable beds. The spring and fall gardens have been planned, the soil prepped, and seeds started indoors. I am in zone 8a Dallas and plan to transplant March 23 or earlier.

My home is south facing and the back yard is too shady for vegetables. So, all of my (in ground) beds are in the front. It has been a real challenge planning to make it productive and look good. I suppose I am using the intensive "squarefoot" gardening method. I thought that would look better than rows.

Anyways, I have been thinking lately; what do I do with the empty spaces between harvest and planting?
I am curious to see what other gardeners have come up with.

For example, when I harvest a cabbage or kohlrabi, what can I quickly put there to fill the void? I mean, at least until I�m ready to fall planting. We typically have 2 growing seasons here. The summers here are brutal, so the plant would have to be able to withstand direct sunlight and temperatures in the 100's.

Maybe I could seed start some flowers and transplant them at harvest. (I don't plan on harvesting all at once) Or, have a few plants in pots on hand to plop down temporarily.

Is there a fast growing, sun loving, cover crop or legume I could put in over summer?

I know there are not a lot of front yard edible gardeners out there, but surely someone has run into this before.
-Cary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beauty between the harvest and planting

Go to the grocery store and buy a bag of unroasted peanuts. They add nitrogen and are fun to grow. Or if you like them, blackeye peas or Lima beans will work

o

Should have added that all three plants are attractive too, at least I think so.

o

Sweet potato (vines) make a really nice summer ground cover and crop. As does peanuts (mentioned). I keep a few perennial ornamentals in the garden for the sake of beauty and pollinators to keep things looking good during season transitions. I also try to keep seedlings in 6" pots ready to go out. Another trick is to keep a few nice pots of something that you can move around as needed. Hot peppers and herbs tend to work well. Also, a freshly mulched garden bed just about always looks well kept. And if you keep a border of perennial flowering plants (bulbine works great here) it tends to add structure and consistency to your garden patch.

Hope this gives you some ideas. Experiment, and find what works good for you. And have fun!

~dianne

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here