Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
familyfarmer

saffron crocus

familyfarmer
13 years ago

Anyone have any luck growing saffron crocus in New England? I think it's crocus sativa.

Comments (3)

• mrcaballus
    12 years ago

Not in New England, no. :) But in the interest of bumping the thread up for you, I'll mention that I do have a half-bed of the little beasties, and am hoping to up it to a full bed this fall. I might have gotten a half-gram of saffron this Fall. Yes, Fall. Rains came early and the little dummies bloomed in November. Go figure.

• nativeplanter
    12 years ago

Saffron is actually a fall-blooming crocus. Mine always blooms in November. The blades stay green all winter and die back in the spring. It's supposedly hardy to zone 6a, so I would give it a try. You don't get much of a harvest (which is why saffron is so expensive), but you don't generally use a lot in cooking and it's fun to say that you grew it yourself.

• myonlysunshine
    12 years ago

I'm planning on buying some this year,white flower farm has them 25 for $20,so I figured it would be worth a shot.I live in zone 5 but have a micro-climate that has gladioli that come back every year,so I figured they would do well there.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting