Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container Gardening

Posted by xentar 8b/9a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 11:03

Since most of my "prime" yard space is taken up by what seems to be hundreds of plants and trees, many edibles, I am now considering doing container gardening. There are a few reasons for this, including keeping plants a smaller size and fitting them in-between other plants that are in the "prime" zone. Another reason is that I'm in a low area, and some plants, like loquats, peaches, and a lot of other things will just rot in the ground here. One day, I'll probably try to graft loquat on a quince rootstock, and that'll hopefully fix the problem with that specific fruit tree.

As of just recently, I've moved all of my bunch grapes and kiwis to containers, because they just weren't doing good in the low area, and I'm planning on putting a raised bed somewhere on the property for at least one peach tree.

Here's one of my issues: I'm hooked on gardening and am really intrigued by too many different plants to even list, but some of the ones I'm wanting to have multiple varieties of are: pomegranate, figs, and just recently wanted to get into loquat cultivars and see what differences there are among various types.

Anyway, the only way I'm going to be able to do this in the space I have is to grow many of these in containers. I've heard some people mention not to use black containers on some types of plants, because the roots can get scorched in the hot Florida sun. Is there any truth to this? If so, would it bother any of the types of plants that I've listed?

If anyone has any tips that would keep me from making any costly mistakes on container culture, please let me know!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container Gardening

on the fruit and orchard forums on GW, there are several people who grow dozens of fruit trees in containers - specifically fruitnut, sautesmom. I have got a lot of valuable help from them. You may try posting your question there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here