Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xentar_gw

Container Gardening

xentar_gw
14 years ago

Since most of my "prime" yard space is taken up by what seems to be hundreds of plants and trees, many edibles, I am now considering doing container gardening. There are a few reasons for this, including keeping plants a smaller size and fitting them in-between other plants that are in the "prime" zone. Another reason is that I'm in a low area, and some plants, like loquats, peaches, and a lot of other things will just rot in the ground here. One day, I'll probably try to graft loquat on a quince rootstock, and that'll hopefully fix the problem with that specific fruit tree.

As of just recently, I've moved all of my bunch grapes and kiwis to containers, because they just weren't doing good in the low area, and I'm planning on putting a raised bed somewhere on the property for at least one peach tree.

Here's one of my issues: I'm hooked on gardening and am really intrigued by too many different plants to even list, but some of the ones I'm wanting to have multiple varieties of are: pomegranate, figs, and just recently wanted to get into loquat cultivars and see what differences there are among various types.

Anyway, the only way I'm going to be able to do this in the space I have is to grow many of these in containers. I've heard some people mention not to use black containers on some types of plants, because the roots can get scorched in the hot Florida sun. Is there any truth to this? If so, would it bother any of the types of plants that I've listed?

If anyone has any tips that would keep me from making any costly mistakes on container culture, please let me know!

Thanks

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living