Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phelansmom

I need edible hedge ideas

phelansmom
12 years ago

We are interested in creating a 40' hedge alongside an alley using a mix of tall for nearly all of the length. The last 5' will probably need to be around 3 feet because of code and street visability. We are interested in mix of edibles to make this area productive plus the surplus falls into our wildlife theme as well. I can install drip irrigation if necessary.

The area faces south so it receives a ton of sun and with the exception of a newly built home across the alley is exposed to the elements. Soil is neutral with some sand because of the alley regrades over the last 100 years a few spots read alkaline..though I want to do a soil test for sure. There is a little afternoon shade from the Cottonwood and a small maple..but it is still pretty sunny and hot. In the winter this area is one of the first to melt..although I can shovel snow mulch if needed.

Originally I was going to install Rosa Rugosa 'Alba' down the entire length but was worried about the spread of up to 8 feet..would it look strange to prune so much as there is newly installed garden in front of the proposed hedge plus the well traveled alley on the other side? Maybe I need something more upright?

I love the idea of the fragrance of this rose and large rose hips and thought for winter interest adding Therese Bugnet for its beutiful red canes. Our house 100+ year old purple folk victorian house cries out for roses I think..

So now my idea involves rosa rugosa alba plus Therese Bugnet and maybe in the lower area of the hedge Rosmarinus officinalis Alcalde Cold Hardy offered by High Country Gardens plus some tall english lavender (neither are cold hardy to our zone but I can grow the lavender from seed and purchase the Rosemary out of my annuals budget.) We had also talked about currents and/or Aronia down the whole length to incorporate some winter/fall interest and also Rose of Sharon..as you can see I need some guidance to stay on track!

Here is a link that might be useful: High Country Gardens

Comments (3)

Sponsored