Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zenmom42

Raspberry varieties for North Shore, Mass?

zenmom42
13 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm located in Salem, Massachusetts. I'm in the process of digging a small raspberry bed in our side yard (or at least I was, before winter set in).

This spring I hope to finish soil prep and plant some raspberries. I'm having a hard time making up my mind as to varieties... 'Caroline' looks like a good choice, and 'Prelude' looks good for the early part of the season.

However, I have room for one more variety, and I can't decide! The catalogs are trumpeting primocane varieties. I've been looking at 'Jaclyn', 'Himbo Top', 'Josephine', 'Joan J' and 'Fall Red'. Can anybody comment on those varieties? I'm looking for good flavor and disease resistance. Our garden/ eating habits lend themselves towards grazing, rather than one large harvest to process as jam or whatever. I *don't* want an overly-agressive variety; I expect some running, but the space isn't all that big so I don't want one that runs rampant.

Also, I only want to plant one of each variety. Most of the catalogs sell in bundles of 3 or 5. Anyone know of reputable sources that will sell singlets?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm