Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tmklein_gw

Late Winter Planting...any Hints?

tmklein
18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and to tree planting and have just received my first shipment of plants from Edible Landscaping in VA and Just Fruits and Exotics in FL. I would love to know if anyone has experience with the plants I've ordered...how long they take to fruit, the quality of the fruit and what kind of spot they would like to grow (shady or sun, low ground or high ground) I would love to know what you are growing too, especially if in a similar climate.

I received: 4 blueberries (1 gallon) Tiftblue, Premier, Bluebelle, and O'Neil cultivars

Jujube, Li (1 gal)

Persimmon, Hira Tanenashi (3 gal)

Pawpaw, a Mango and a "select" pollinator (1 gal)

Pomegranate, Russian (very little stick with one leaf)

Kiwi, Elmwood fuzzy and a "Hardy California fuzzy" male

(I'm a little worried about my female as the main stalk was cut with lots of new growth to the side...I need it to eventually grow up to the top of a trellis)

I also received a Mallika Mango tree which I will grow in a container and move indoors in the winter and a cute little super dwarf banana (may be a cavendish but I'm not sure)

Comments (6)

• chills71
    18 years ago

I think I would still wait a few weeks before planting (if possible). I have no experience with much of your list, but I will tell you what I know about what I can.

Pawpaws....many people say that for the first year pawpaws should be shaded, but after that time full sun is the way to go. Your plant is grafted, and as long as the graft is healed, you might not need to heed that advice. (I didn't with my bareroot trees over the past few years....though I didn't order mine from either of those places)

Kiwi... Kiwi plants take off quickly if happy. Wrap the damage if you think its minor, or just trim the plant below the damage (if such a cut can be made without disrupting the graft (are kiwi's grafted, I don't think mine are..). If the plant is healthy you won't even notice the cutting you made within a couple months. BTW..do not throw that cutting away, kiwi's root pretty easily, at least they have for me.

I'm adding a persimmon (from Edible Landscaping) this year, so I have no advice for you there (except to tell you that this forum doesn't see the traffic that the fruit and orchard forum does). As far as the other plants, I can't see me growing pomegranite or mango in Michigan without a greenhouse and if you look at the "what are you growing" thread below then you'll see I don't have room for a greenhouse right now.

Good luck with everything. Let us know how they do. Also, did you ask Edible Landscaping to move up your shipping date? They didn't want to ship to me til the last week of May.

~Chills

• tmklein
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Chills, I thought no one was going to reply...I guess the fruits thread has more traffic.

So you can grow Paw Paw in MI? Are they fruiting yet? How long ago did you plant them?

I am most excited by the Kiwi. My male is much taller, one long (2.5 ft) stalk without leaves. The female they sent has a bunch of leaves and it has been cut on the top by the look of it. I am worried that it won't grow as good at the male as i have to train it up an arbor.

My persimmon looks a little damaged maybe from shipping I just noticed today. the bark a couple of inches from the dirt has been broken and there is something green (mold?) growing. Should I be worried? Other than that the tree looks heathly, but no leaves yet.

I'm in AL and I will have to cart the Mango in and out. Ed. Land. shipped to me the very next week after my order. It has been a mild winter, I still have my fall broccoli and other veggies. I plan on transforming a small screen back porch on the south side of the house to a green house...will try to get some cucumbers growing in there yr round.

The mango might get 10 ft tall Yikes! I may have to plant it in S. Fl. one day if it gets too big. I should have done my research firt...this container mango has fruit that must ripen off the tree for a couple of weeks...I would rather have a cogshell or icecream varity.

TM

• chills71
    18 years ago

I planted some of the pawpaws 3 years ago, one 2 years ago and two last year. My largest should bloom this year, though none of the others are likely to, so no fruit this year...maybe next year.

I wouldn't worry too much about the kiwi. Just plant them so that they will not get waterlogged, rotting at the crown seems to be the biggest problem I've heard of with them. They seem to take 3 or more years to fruit. Mine have been in 3 years and I'm seeing spur type branching, so I should see fruit this year, I hope.

The green might be grafting wax, or you might be right there could be moss, mold or something else going on there. I wish I could say more, but I am just putting a persimmon in myself for the first time this year.

Mango. I'm jealous, but there is no way I could move one of those around here. I've already got potted figs and passionflowers (seven) that I overwinter indoors, among other things.

Best of luck!!

~Chills

• goodground
    18 years ago

Are you familiar with blueberries? They will need acid soil with a low pH. If your soil is not ideal for blueberries, you'll need to mix in some peat moss.

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

I got an Elmwood from EL two years ago. It was a little stick about 1 foot tall. The first year it reached the 7 ft high trellis and formed one cordon 5 feet long. Last spring it bloomed, just one year after planting. It only had a few blooms and they got zapped by a late frost. This year, I lost one third of the vine to winter injury to the bark of one trunk. Fortunately, it had two trunks, with 2/3 of vine on the older trunk. Since we had a mild winter, I did not protect the trunks from direct sunlight. I strongly advise that you protect yours next winter. The freeze thawing in late winter is what kills. Use white pipe insulation or white latex paint diluted 50% with water sometime around mid-winter.

~kiwinut

• brendan_of_bonsai
    18 years ago

Put that pomegranit somewere dry and away from trafic, they get to be thorny and they are a desert fruit.

Sponsored