Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zendog54

Dandelion greens

zendog54
14 years ago

I see them at the market and am wondering if the dandelions growing in my front lawn are equally edible. Other than to augment a salad, any suggestions?

Comments (11)

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

As long as the dandelions in your yard have not been sprayed with any chemicals, are not close to a road or driveway (don't want to ingest exhaust chemicals), they are edible. Fry a bit of bacon, remove bacon when crispy. Drain off most of the fat and then quickly stir fry the cut up dandelion greens. Add the crumbled bacon back to the greens and enjoy. You can also pickle the dandelion buds. And dip the blossoms in batter and fry like a fritter. And add the petals (minus the green calyx) to salads.

• wildforager
    14 years ago

Betty, you and me are cut from the same cloth!

• herbalbetty
    14 years ago

Wildforager - how about some rose petal jelly on biscuits for dessert?

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

Haven't used dandelion greens in this kind of 'wilted spinach' recipe. Thanks! Don't know why I didn't get there.... Sounds terrific!

One of my favorite yard-harvests is purslane. It's a good thing it's a weed around here, or we wouldn't have any left for salads. I munch so much of it just working in the yard.

We don't have enough Lamb's Quarters to do a lot with in this area. I miss some of the abundance of this from where I grew up.... Maybe I should actively plant it.

I prefer rosehip-ginger preserves on biscuits, myself (grins).

• wildforager
    14 years ago

Oh boy, you ladies got my mouth watering. I love sweets! Jams and jellies are yummy.Back to dandelions, I like to dig up the roots and roast them for a coffee like beverage. Better than java....caffeine leaches minerals from the body and the dandy beverage is nourishing. It supplies minerals!

Peace,
    Little John

PS- Roast a little burdock or chicory root with it for a twist!

• mrsjohnnyg
    14 years ago

You all have my mouth watering too. My lawn doesn't have any dandelions and I've been halfway contemplating "planting" some... then again, we don't mow as often as we should so that's a recipe for an entire "lawn" of dandelions (I'm sure the neighbors would really appreciate that)!!

• merrybookwyrm
    14 years ago

I've been wondering about growing some dandelions indoors... to avoid the lawn problem!

• greenguy1956
    14 years ago

We mix them with poke and lambsquarter then Saute with olive oil onion Garlic with sea salt and tumeric. The flowers are edible also. The dried flower heads are a number one food for several songbirds .

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

Dandelions like more sun than can be done indoors, without a lot of work. But as long as you nip off the flowers, they aren't a lawn problem.

And as greenguy says, the flowers are edible, too. (grin)

• hermitsgarden
    14 years ago

I did plant some dandelion seeds in my front herb bed...have NO idea if they'll grow or not. Has anyone had success in cultivating them?

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

Have never tried to cultivate them. Haven't had to (wry grin). If the seeds don't take, let me know, and I will send you some roots. May or may not take better than seeds. I expect the seeds should work out, though.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals