Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goodground

Low Sun Edibles?

goodground
19 years ago

What would be some good choices being they would only be getting a good dosage of morning sun? Some areas will get some more early/late afternoon sun. These plants will be for the walkway and surrounding entrance of my house. I would prefer varieties that don't need support. I'm really looking forward to planting an edible garden :) Thanks

Comments (7)

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

I would suggest Wintergreen, Gaultheria procumbens. It has very attractive evergreen leaves, little tubular flowers, and attractive edible red berries. It slowly spreads by underground runners. Another is Lingonberry, Vaccinium vitis-idaea, ditto the above. Both would require acid soils, if you have alkaline soil they probably wouldn't work.

• gardenpaws_VA
    19 years ago

You could use most any of the mints. Also, most greens (lettuce, spinach and such) don't need as much sun as fruit-bearing plants, so could be grown in the area you describe. Alpine strawberries would do quite well there, too, and look nice for most of the year.

• chills71
    19 years ago

Red Currants...

Mine get only 1 1/2 to 2 hours midday sun (between the house and a fence) and they fruited profusely. Tasty little things too. I'm zone 6 too, so they should be ok for you climate-wise.

~Chills

• yelena
    19 years ago

All currants (red, white, pink, black) plus european gooseberries. Parsley and basil (especially purple) will look nice. And for strange reasons I have biger harvest of cucumbers in partial sun by my house than in vegetable bed in full sun. If you like to experiment, some people eat young sprouts of daylilies (they definitely will grow in partial shade).

• Scott F Smith
    19 years ago

My currants/gooses in 1-2 hour location are not doing very well, they are starting their third year and have hardly grown at all so far. It could be something else bothering them like the soil or whatever. But it gives another data point to add to the above experiences.

Rhubarb does well for me in only a couple hours. I think it looks very nice as well. In fact in my climate it won't grow in the full sun, its too hot.

Scott

• pdxjules
    19 years ago

Chinese Leek AKA: Garlic Chives can work. Eat leaves Oct - June, then stop cutting and let em flower...blooms look like drifts of paperwhites. These are bulb-forming perennials that can be planted/transplanted year round. Control seed as flowers fade so you only have plants where you want them.

Clumps grow thicker, too as leaves are cut - so keep it up! Soon you'll be sharing both seed and clumps with friends.

• breezyb
    19 years ago

Sharing? I wish. I've been growing Garlic Chives for years & now have them EVERYWHERE!!!!!! People make the sign of the cross when they see me coming - lol!!

They self-sow prodigiously, but I still leave the seed pods because they are so attractive in the winter. I have also used the dry seed heads, spray-painted gold, to decorate Xmas gift baskets.

Although I know & have seen recipes for using them alone as a vegetable, I use mine most as a substitute for regular chives (which I also grow) sometimes. The flowers are also nice additions to salads, stirfries, & as garnishes.

Sponsored