Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Sun Edibles?

Posted by goodground z6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 05 at 17:29

What would be some good choices being they would only be getting a good dosage of morning sun? Some areas will get some more early/late afternoon sun. These plants will be for the walkway and surrounding entrance of my house. I would prefer varieties that don't need support. I'm really looking forward to planting an edible garden :) Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Sun Edibles?

I would suggest Wintergreen, Gaultheria procumbens. It has very attractive evergreen leaves, little tubular flowers, and attractive edible red berries. It slowly spreads by underground runners. Another is Lingonberry, Vaccinium vitis-idaea, ditto the above. Both would require acid soils, if you have alkaline soil they probably wouldn't work.

o

You could use most any of the mints. Also, most greens (lettuce, spinach and such) don't need as much sun as fruit-bearing plants, so could be grown in the area you describe. Alpine strawberries would do quite well there, too, and look nice for most of the year.

o

• Posted by Chills 6b (??) Mi (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 17, 05 at 22:05

Red Currants...

Mine get only 1 1/2 to 2 hours midday sun (between the house and a fence) and they fruited profusely. Tasty little things too. I'm zone 6 too, so they should be ok for you climate-wise.

~Chills

o

All currants (red, white, pink, black) plus european gooseberries. Parsley and basil (especially purple) will look nice. And for strange reasons I have biger harvest of cucumbers in partial sun by my house than in vegetable bed in full sun. If you like to experiment, some people eat young sprouts of daylilies (they definitely will grow in partial shade).

o

My currants/gooses in 1-2 hour location are not doing very well, they are starting their third year and have hardly grown at all so far. It could be something else bothering them like the soil or whatever. But it gives another data point to add to the above experiences.

Rhubarb does well for me in only a couple hours. I think it looks very nice as well. In fact in my climate it won't grow in the full sun, its too hot.

Scott

o
Chives RE: Low Sun Edibles?

Chinese Leek AKA: Garlic Chives can work. Eat leaves Oct - June, then stop cutting and let em flower...blooms look like drifts of paperwhites. These are bulb-forming perennials that can be planted/transplanted year round. Control seed as flowers fade so you only have plants where you want them.

Clumps grow thicker, too as leaves are cut - so keep it up! Soon you'll be sharing both seed and clumps with friends.

o

Sharing? I wish. I've been growing Garlic Chives for years & now have them EVERYWHERE!!!!!! People make the sign of the cross when they see me coming - lol!!

They self-sow prodigiously, but I still leave the seed pods because they are so attractive in the winter. I have also used the dry seed heads, spray-painted gold, to decorate Xmas gift baskets.

Although I know & have seen recipes for using them alone as a vegetable, I use mine most as a substitute for regular chives (which I also grow) sometimes. The flowers are also nice additions to salads, stirfries, & as garnishes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here