Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which flax is used for eating..... seeds??????

Posted by flowersandthings MidAtlantic 6/7 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 14, 04 at 18:26

Which flax is used for eating????? Can you use linum perenne lewessi and grandiflora (scarlet) for eating..... the seeds......????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which flax is used for eating..... seeds??????

Cultivated flax used for edible products (oil, fiber) is Linum usitatissimum.

o

You can eat the seeds but, only if they are ground into a flour as humans are unable to digest the whole seeds. You can also consume flaxseed oil which is VERY good for you and rich in Omega-3 and I believe Omega-6 Fatty Acids that are normally found in fish. These Fatty acids actually help to reduce Choleserol and have other health benefits.

o

• Posted by Talis W OR z8 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 7, 05 at 15:41

Oil goes rancid quickly in ground seeds or oil; I grind mine in my herb mill (electric 'coffee' grinder) & store in the freezer in a small jam jar. I start with about a Tbsp of milk thistle seed (grind that a bit first) then add about 2 Tbsp of flax seed, grind that a bit; & then sesame seeds to fill the hopper. I usually add about a teaspoon of fennel seed before the sesame seeds, to aid digestion.

The sesame seed hulls are high in calcium, (1/4 cup ~ the daily allowance of calcium) & the milk thistle good for the liver.

Several herbalist friends suggest sprinkiling the flax/milk thistle mix on your morning cereal or on salads, rather than taking oil or capsules. The milk thistle seed coats can irritate some folks stomachs - so you need to see if this works for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here