Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtilton_gw

Sea Buckthorn

mtilton
19 years ago

Can somebody please tell me where I could buy Sea Buckthorn seeds? I bought some about 5 years ago and kept them in my refrigerator but they don't seem to be germinating. I've waited about 2 weeks but still no germination. Are the seeds still viable? Thank you in advance.

Comments (7)

• yelena
    19 years ago

I have some seeds I got from GW exchange last year. I can send them to you for postage: too much work and headache to start bushes from seeds, it's much simplier(and you will get exactly what you want) to buy seedlings. Also according to experts you may need to wait up to 1 year for seeds to germinate.
    Yelena

• lucky_p
    19 years ago

Milton,
    I think you're probably wasting your time trying to grow SB in zone 7. Go ahead if you want to - heck, I continually 'push the envelope', trying to grow zone 8 plants here in zone 6, but SB is one for cold, severe winter areas, where they don't have much hope of growing much in the way of edible fruits, due to the length/severity of their winters and short growing season.
    I tried SB here one time, and they didn't like my clay soil or hot summer. None made it through the first year.

• oklahawg
    19 years ago

My Sea Buckthorn did great last summer. I have them on the east side of a privacy fence where they get shade from 4pm, or so, on. Well, the root area does--it grew about 3 feet last summer and the tops are over the top of the 6 foot fence. It was the 5th coolest summer in history of records in Tulsa, so take that for what its worth.

I kept them moist and they are planted in a raised bed to insure they don't get root rot from too much moisture in the rainy season.

I would definitely buy plants--there are several good sources online, such as Raintree Nursery, One Green World and Edible Landscape Nursery that sell sea buckthorn. I bought mine from one of the three listed, but I can't remember which!

I am located in Collinsville, right on the border of the new zone 6/7 boundary.

• mtilton
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you. I'm thinking about buying from One Green World.

• chervil2
    19 years ago

You need to buy a male and a female for fruit production. I bought my pair from Raintree Nursery and have been enjoying fruit from the female for the past four years. My pair is is situated in poor dry soil in full sun.

Cheers!

Chervil2

• chills71
    19 years ago

how do you describe the fruit? Did you get one of the varieties described as sweet?

~Chills

• chervil2
    19 years ago

The fruit on my sea buckthorn is small and sour tasting. Picking the fruit and straining out the seeds is labor intensive. With sugar an unusual and tasty juice can be made.

Cheers!

Chervil2

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting