Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild blueberry in Florida swampland?

Posted by xentar 8b/9a (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 16, 09 at 19:58

I've kept an eye on a plant that has been growing on the swamp's edge, on my property for a couple years and believe it to be a blueberry of some type. I've compared the leaves to a plant I know is a blueberry, and it looks exactly the same. The stems also look the same.

I don't personally remember it ever having berries on it, but there aren't any other blueberry plants around to pollinate it, if it needs pollination. I will keep an eye on it and see if it flowers this spring, and the flowers should tell me definitely if it's a blueberry or not, correct?

Are there any other types of plants which look exactly like a blueberry plant in North-Central Florida?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild blueberry in Florida swampland?

Just a little note. I did take some cuttings from the plant, about six of them, even though it's not the perfect time of the year to root blueberries. If they are determined to be blueberries, which I believe they are, then I could plant some of the rooted cuttings near my other 'tame' blueberry plants at my other place for pollination.

o

It could be a wild Vaccinium species, such as Sparkelberry or Mayberry.

Sparkelberry:
http://apalacheehills.com/PlantWeb/Sparkleberry.html

Mayberry
http://apalacheehills.com/Native/Mayberry.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Apalacheehills

o

It definitely looks a lot like the mayberry. The sparkleberry looks way too large for this to be it. This plant has stayed below 3' for the several years that I've noticed it growing.

o

On my land, the mayberries flowered in February, and had leaves by the last half of the month. The leaves are very bright green this time of year.

The blooms look like those of cultivated blueberries. The berries (on my bushes at least) are smaller than the cultivated blueberries, but taste OK.

The Mayberry can take a lot of shade, but will have more berries in the sun.

o

The cuttings I took are still looking good. They've grown a lot of leaves and a few have probably grown 2" or so. If they do well, then I will plant some in the full sun near my regular blueberry plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here