Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardensewer

Has anyone grown Eskimo Raspberries?

gardensewer
18 years ago

Botanical name is Rubus x stellarcticus I think. I was wondering if anyone has grown them and if they may grow in OK.

Comments (16)

• ruthieg__tx
    18 years ago

I never even heard of them..do you have a supplier that you ould ask?

• greenhummer
    18 years ago

Here you go........

Here is a link that might be useful: Eskimo Raspberries

• carolync1
    18 years ago

I don't believe the hype put out by this company. If it were so great, some reputable suppliers would offer it. It sounds quite a bit like a thimbleberry to me.

• djlerkl
    18 years ago

I purchased four "Rubus arcticus L. subsp. x stellarcticus" otherwise known as arctic rasberries, nagoonberries, and eskimo berries from One Green World and just planted them 2 days ago. Check out their website. The results probably won't be quite as spectactular as the description on the Gardener's Choice website, but I thought they sounded pretty interesting and definitely worth a try.

• brendan_of_bonsai
    17 years ago

IT would apear that they are similar to what was promised, although the 12 months of the year thing seems very unarctic to me, Also a single plant is sterile, you need two clones in order to polinate, check out the link

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.actahort.org/books/112/112_18.htm

• scot
    17 years ago

i received 3 varieties last year from the Germplasm Repository. of each, i got 3 small "pips". i planted each variety in large pots with the best potting soil i had available. i skillfuly killed one, the other two however have done what raspberries do, the pots are full, and currently in bloom. cant comment of fruit yet, but come fall, i will be using them as a groundcover in a very large rock garden. so far i am very impressed with them. they have been in continual bloom for the past 3 weeks, as each flower is pollinated, a new one pops open. i dont think i will be canning gallons of them, but they appear so far to be a pretty little plant, that will have a few berries ripe for an extended period during the summer.

• scot
    17 years ago

one more follow up on an apparently dead thread,
    although they have been in constant bloom all spring, i have yet to find any berry formation on them
    scot

• flamenchicken1978_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have tried to grow these many times and never have any luck. I get them going and they never produce any fruit or blooms and I have more than one at a time. I have bought them from gardeners choice. They are a neat plant but I am not sure how to grow them right and they never make it through the winter here in zone 8 and I have even brought them inside and they still die. I can't find much info on how to grow them and not sure what I am doing wrong. I grow many kinds of berries and other plants and I am very good at growing them because I research them but these I have no clue, if anyone knows something please let me know and I will try it because they sound like a neat plant and I want to try one more time before I give up. Thanks

• scot
    13 years ago

to the thread that just wont die,,,well not as easily as the plants anyway. my 2 varieties were planted in a rock garden, and few a few years i got a few berries, then they died,,,,something about roundup i guess. anyway, i have purchased a handfull of plants from another vendor than the one mentioned, they are a cross of sellarcticus and i dont remember. i have taken down a pasture and started a farly large collection of Rubus. all except 2 are "wild" varieties. the fun part was getting rid of all the pre-existing blackberries and black raspberries that call the place home. the soil the arctics are in is pretty dry, but they made it through the late summer and fall OK, so if they sprout up and do anything i will report back. one poster thought they sounded like thimble berries, they are nothing like them at all. i have those as well as Oderatus, nothing similar at all

• KatyaKatya
    13 years ago

And I know them well from their native habitat. I can tell you this: in natural environments they are very successful spreading by horizontal roots and apparently don't have much motivation for bearing fruit. When they do, it is very sweet and incredibly fragrant, so it is valued above any other "bramble" fruit. There never is a lot of it.

• dan_hartmannsplantcompany_com
    13 years ago

We have a nursery and grow sell the R. stellarticus for years. The plants are easy to grow, and produce small fruits. The plants are stoloniferous and grow to a mature height of 4 to 6 inches tall. The plants we have available are a definite cross of 2 Rubus species hybridized in Sweden.
    Plants are very hardy, and grow well in most soil types. They will spread slower in heavy clay soils. THe plants make a nice edible non-invasive groundcover.

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

Can you guy's please report back on how you made out with picture,..is it worth to grow them?
    Thank you!

• rinsobluegmail
    8 years ago

These sound like they were domesticated from the wild plant rubus chamaemorus. These grows in very cold climates and have male and female flowers on different plants. They also like moisture and acidic soil. The eskimo raspberry probably has the same characteristics and this info may be helpful in growing them.

• squarepegman
    7 years ago

No chamaemorus in them; they're R. arcticus x stellatus crosses done in Sweden. I've had them for years here in interior Alaska and they have spread and thrived on utter neglect. I don't get a whole lot of fruit, but the only effort I expend is picking. They might yield more under care. In my estimation, no berry of any kind approaches the arctic raspberries in richness and complexity. They have big seeds and the fruit retains the torus like a blackberry, but those drawbacks are more than recompensed by the intense flavor and aroma, particularly when fully ripened. I would grow them even if I only got a dozen berries a year, they're so good. The wild ones I've seen aren't as productive and have smaller berries, but nonetheless they're highly esteemed for good reason. Not sure how they fare outside the subarctic, but definitely worth a try.

• steve bossie (3b) ME
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

just planted 12 of these from hartmanns. I'm in zone 3, northern maine. we have acidic soil here and occasionally i find a wild patch of these. have them growing in amended peat in raised beds around my cultivated raspberries. just started to see new growth and one flowered. ill post back if i get some berries. should do well here as it does grow here naturally. funny thing is when we found these as a kid we were told not to eat them as they were false raspberries and poisonous!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville