Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xentar_gw

How many people grow elderberries?

xentar_gw
14 years ago

This year will be the first time I try to grow elderberries. I remember as a kid having elderberry jam and a bit later on in life making elderberry and muscadine wines but have never really thought about intentionally growing the plants myself, because so many came up wild alongside of railroad tracks and ditches.

Now, I see that there are many named varieties out there and really wanted to see how well they'd do compared to wild ones, with some TLC.

First, I took two elderberry plants from the wild, in separate places so that they would be genetically different. Then, I recently decided to order these varieties: John, adams, nova, thundercloud, variegated, nova, black beauty, and korso, along with two genetically different blue elderberry seedlings from the pacific northwest. These are a mix of PNW blue, American, and European elderberries I believe.

I've also noticed that there are some other varieties out there, like: allesso, black lace, goldbeere, haschberg, sambal, emerald lace, and guincho purple. Goldbeere is apparently the only one that has gold berries.

What's everyone's opinion on growing your own elderberries?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting