Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

Edible landscape in the front yard - pollution a concern?

ashleysf
14 years ago

I am thinking of planting some citruses, some berries (blackberries, blue berries, raspberries) and a couple of fruit trees in my front yard (a weeping santa rosa plum and a fig tree). This is my attempt at introducing edible landscaping into my yard. Some of these plants would be close to the side walk. Now, I am wondering if it is safe to plant edibles so close to the street - we are not on a busy street at all - just a suburban street with just the usual light traffic of cars of people going about their daily business. I am wondering if pollution is an issue. Is it safe to eat the fruit? I already have the plants purchased, but now I am second guessing my strategy. Any advise? TIA.

Comments (3)

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

The first question is how old is the neighborhood? Was this a neighborhood built around 1910, or 1950, or 1970? The reason I ask is that this defines the number of decades the near-street area was accumulating residues of leaded gas before it was banned, and how long other pollutants were accumulating before today's much cleaner cars.

In terms of the safety of eating the fruit, the trees should be no problem. They should sequester minerals and toxins in the heartwood of the trunk, and the chance of problems with the fruit are slim to none.

The berries are potentially more of a problem.... If this is a post-1970 neighborhood, I wouldn't worry about it. If it is an older neighborhood, I think you're smart to be concerned, but you have a couple of options.

Berries are generally not very deeply or widely rooted, compared to some other kinds of plants. And it sounds like you are looking at more discrete and controlled berry plants, rather than something that spreads wildly.

You could use some sort of raised bed approach, of course, with new soil. Or you could figure out where the berries will be, take out the soil down at least a foot, and at least three feet out beyond the stems of the berry you plant, and then fill with soil from elsewhere. If you go this route, it would be easier to put the berries near each other in one area. Less shoveling....

With either approach, I would gladly come eat berries at your house anytime (grins).

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot, Linda. My neighborhood was developed in the 50's. So, your advise on planting the berries in fresh soil is greatly appreciated. For now, I am going to plant all my berries in containers temporarily until I can build a raised bed for them. And I will post back here when I get berries so you can stop by and get some :)

• linda_schreiber
    14 years ago

You're very welcome. And I look forward to the berries!

I don't suppose that you could spring for the airfare......

Ah, well.

Happy berrying! :-)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!