Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larry_gene

Seaberry not just for breakfast anymore

larry_gene
18 years ago

Although the sweetened juice is excellent, the fallen leaves make a great soil amendment and decay rapidly.

Processing the berries in an auger-type juicer results in ejected dry-ish waste consisting of the berry skins and broken seeds. I sun-dried this waste and have been using it in baking. The latest batch of brownies have a nice little crunch to them from the seed parts. There must be some residual nutrients in this juicer-waste.

Maybe I'll go out and nibble on some of the bark!

Comments (11)

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

"The latest batch of brownies "
    "Maybe I'll go out and nibble on some of the bark!"

Get a hold of yourself, Larry! By the sound of it, the seaberry had some hallucineginics mixed in it! :^)

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

You know, from a distance the seaberry plant does have the feathery look similar to marijuana!

And seaberry is not a controlled substance!

AND, I haven't even tried the roots yet!

• lkz5ia
    18 years ago

I've read elsewhere that birds tend to not take the seaberry crop. I was wondering if your experience has been the same?
    I only started growing some seedlings last year and they seem like they like our climate so I'm buying some named varieties now.

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have never seen birds even perching in the seaberry plants, possibly a combination of thorns and branch angles they don't like.

The ripe fruit is very showy but I have never seen a bird in them then either, and blueberry, blackberry, goumi, juniper, cotoneaster, and laurel berries get thoroughly raided, all on the same city lot.

The tight seaberry fruit clusters do attract earwigs.

• oklahawg
    18 years ago

A warning from my seaberry plot. I had planted 2 females and 1 male in a raised bed (8x8-ish). Four days ago I'm out doing some cleaning around the bed and found dozens of baby seaberry plants pushing up through the dormant lawn. I plucked about 20 yards of root from outside the bed.

While I don't really care if the fruit is something I enjoy or don't enjoy I don't want a high-maintenance experience from them. I had hoped the raised bed plus landscape timbers would be strong enough to hold the roots in the bed. Maybe not, eh?!

The doves love laying in the bed because the bluejays and blackbirds and grackles and crows that appear in my yard from time to time won't mess with them under the thorny seaberry.

• murkwell
    18 years ago

Larry, I was thinking the same thing as lkz5ia. That sounds a bit wacky.

I forgot to try the seaberry juice last time. I thank you for the Feijoa fruits though. I think I may not have eaten them at their ripened best. I did however, scrape some seeds from one of them and got a few of them to germinate. Perhaps in 6 years or so I'll get some fruits off of them :)

I was very impressed with your garden by the way.

• larry_gene
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Jafar (murky)--

The feijoas may have been a little tart yet if you didn't let them soften more, but I like them either way, slightly green or ripe. It is interesting you got the seeds to sprout, did you have to do anything special, what was the percentage of success? Someone else (who never showed up) asked for cuttings, you can try that if you wish.

If you can give me a day or two notice, I can whip up another batch of seaberry juice!

oklahawg must have some very aggressive plants, I have to chase down some runners every year, but the total time spent is less than 20 minutes.

• oldroser
    18 years ago

Puzzled by seaberry so I did a search and one of the first things they mentioned was its value in controlling erosion through strong network of suckers. Think I'll pass on this one!

• oklahawg
    18 years ago

I am not a candidate for world's greatest gardener, that's for sure. My resolve to "win" vs. a plant is pretty high, though!

I think I'll try a metal barrier similar to what you'd use for bamboo and see what happens.

Maybe the problem is I always wind up getting bogged down with work and can't do diddly squat in the garden for weeks at a time in the middle of summer!

The suckers do work through clay soil, that's for sure.

• Tom DeCoste
    14 years ago

I am venturing into growing from purchased plants and seeds (from Lithuania) this year. I invite you all to visit my blog and see how it all turns out. Some of the seedlings have just sprouted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaberry / Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)

• groall
    14 years ago

Been growing a couple different seaberries for years and a couple years ago, moved plants from the front of my house to the border of my outback field, prior to digging up the bushes, I trimmed them back and had a lot of nice cuttings, so I trimmed them up and put the cuttings in pots...the next spring I checked on them and a lot of the cuttings rooted, so I repotted them and now a lot of new plants to add to my collection....this is the second year in the pots and they are about two foot bushes

Sponsored