Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
edible plant in zone 5

Posted by cortneycas 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 6:20

I have recently moved to the chicago area and have bought a house that is perfect for gardening and landscaping. I love working in my yard and would like to use mostly edible plants in my yard. I feel I should enjoy the fruits of my labor (literaly) I know of some blue berry and cranberry bushes that I'm useing for ground cover and I want to plant a stella cherry tree. What other fruit bearing plants should I consider in this climate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: edible plant in zone 5

You may want to consider for you zone 5 yard Paw Paws, American persimmon, quince, grapes, kiwi vines, peaches, mulberries, blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries. Have Fun!

Chervil2

o

Definitely consider serviceberry/juneberry clump bushes. They have very sweet berries in June, and look nice as well. They are covered with small white flowers which turn into sweet berries. There are many different cultivars. Visit your local nurseries and pick your favorite. They produce prolificly every year.

Always an. . .Angel

o

cortneycas,
Sounds like you and I have the same idea about our yards.

You might try looking into the Midwest Fruit Explorers, it is a non-profit organization of amateur backyard fruit growing enthusiasts. Most of the members live in the counties surrounding Chicago.

I was able to go to their annual show last fall and talk to some helpful people. We tasted some pawpaw and other stuff, it was a fun outing.

I have service berries in the front yard. They are okay but rather seedy. I use strawberries as groundcover. Did you know daylilies and hosta are edible? I believe hosta is used in oriental cooking.

Are you interested in just fruit trees/bushes or other perennials, annuals or vegetables?

RexAnne

Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest Fruit Explorers

o

cortneycas
so how did it go? what did you deside to put in?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here