Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Russian Pomegranates

Posted by rcnaylor z7 Tex (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 6:31

I've posted here before on my "Russian" pomegranates (no better varietal info when purchased).

The climate warming issue and zone creep seems to have finally helped me get some results. I planted them probably in 2004. Had kept them in pots before that.

Several winters they died back to the ground. Several years a freeze got the fruit.

But, the last 2 years they didn't die back and last year I got a five gallon bucket full of fruit! It was good. Compared to the "Wonderful" variety in most stores I would say it was sweeter and a little less tart.

So far this winter I would say they haven't frozen back. Though, they haven't budded out here yet so don't know for sure. Hopefully they have gotten a little acclimatized on when to come out here?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Russian Pomegranates

Texas is notorious for having late freezes; and that is your enemy. The root system is now well established so if the plant dies back a little; it will still survive.

o

Where exactly are your trees-- north, east, west, or south side of your house? Are you in the northern or western part of zone 7? How long has it been since they last froze? My Wonderful pomegranate seems to fruit on wood at least two years old. Thank you.
I'm on the south side of dfw. My Wonderful pomegranate is planted 10 to 15 feet south of the south side of the house in the fenced in back yard, so a protected area. It has been in the ground for 10-15 years. When it was about 3 years old, it froze back to the ground once or twice, but nothing has phazed the tree since then.

The birds decided the green fruit was good in the drought a couple of years back and have kept coming back for more. This year I will put on bird netting before they get started.

o

I was able to overwinter a dwarf pomegranate in a sheltered area in zone 5 with a thick mulch. Despite some freeze damage, I had flowers on the bush the next season. For the following winter, I dug the plant and brought into the house and killed it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here