Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saxophonegirll

economically whats best?

saxophonegirll
16 years ago

i am a newbe, i dream of just stepping out into my yard and picking my own food,and meds! whats best for harvest yeilds and durability in zone 8? i have sun,shade and moist woods. i also have about 50 containers i can use..id appreciate any advice..i want to learn canning an preserving and drying and such...i dream of actually being able to survive off my land area garden harvest..fruits, berries, salads,veggies,feverfew..id love toset up a druid style or medieval sustaining garden. thank you all forany advice!!

jeanette

Comments (10)

• linda_schreiber
    16 years ago

Keep all the dreams, Jeanette, but take things one step or so at a time, and be prepared to do the homework. It sounds like you are very lucky to be in zone 8 with a range of environments! That helps a lot.

First thing is to 'dream' just a little more, and figure out where you would like to start things. You don't want to plant a couple of cool fruit trees, and then realize that they're smack in the middle of where you will want the veggie garden to be.

A couple of fairly easy things to start with this year, while you are getting used to and learning about your soil, and compost, and so on, is a smallish veggie garden and an herb garden. Neither one is a permanent fixture that you might regret, and you will learn a lot about gardening in the process.

Some tips:

Try to do some exploring and researching about any plant before you plant it. Find out what it wants, and whether it is likely to drive you crazy down the road.

Do a lot of browsing and reading on basic things, like soil and weeds and compost and garden design.

Expect some failures. It's just part of the whole garden thing.

Keep at it, and keep learning, and you'll get there....
    Linda S

• murkwell
    16 years ago

Well, I went the other route and started planting things. I started with blueberries and a stray black raspberry, then quickly expanded to other fruits and vegetable gardening.

The thing with fruit trees is that it takes several years before they really become productive, and when you are keenly anticipating your yield a year seems like a really long time.

So even though I made some mistakes about locations and varieties and such, I'm still very glad I planted my fruit trees 3 years ago because I'm now poised to get some harvests.

• trilliumgreen
    16 years ago

At one time I ran across a table that specifically reported yields for backyard edibles. I don't remember the source, it may have been Designing and maintaining your edible landscape naturally by Robert Kourik.

My approach has been to consider 1. what I buy and enjoy eating and what the price per pound is 2. what is most important for me the buy organic (that list is ever-expanding), 3. what grows well in my area and wouldn't need to be sprayed. Blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and asian pears rose to the top of my list. Like Murky said, it takes a while for shrubs and trees to become productive, so I have started with those. There are plenty of annual veggies that have been very productive in my garden (like kale), but a lot of that is climate specific. I can't say enough good things about scarlet runner beans: Yummy, productive, beautiful and a hummingbird magnet.

• greenwitch
    16 years ago

There is such a list in a book called Supernutrition, which veggies are most cost effective to grow (tomatoes are on the top of that list), which have the most vitamins, which take up more or less room, etc.
    Also, Gardening When It Counts (survival gardening) has a discussion of seed quality, which cultivars are consistant, highest production, long storing, etc.
    Where I live, sweet corn is really cheap in season so I would not bother to grow it myself. Also, winter squash takes up alot of space but there are many heirloom types I'd like to try that cannot be found even at the farmer's market. I planted Seminole late in the season, although it can grow 100' it only got about 25' before the weather went cool, I got 5 squash off of it, the rind is so hard the squirrels could not get into them (like pumpkins) and the flavor/texture is very high quality (it keeps well too). This is a very good in depth how to garden book (what works, what doesn't) although there maybe others more specific to your region.
    Good luck.

• jumpin4joy
    16 years ago

Im in zone 8 Grow everything! LOL Get a greenhouse and the possibilities are endless.I love it.

• gbebeh
    16 years ago

I started growing tomatoes a couple of years ago and it is so worth it. If nothing else what you get is 10x better than what you can find at a store. So there alone you get a great value. Also you can grow varieties that are difficult to buy at the store. I'm now branching into other fruits and vegetables but I still haven't found anything as satisfying as growing tomatoes!
    gbebeh

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

A great book to get is "Stalking the wild asparagus" by Euell Gibbons. It has recipes, and shows you what you can do to live off the land with wild edibles! I love eating wild daylily flowers! :) Another great thing to grow for your own medicine is coneflowers (wild, not those cultivated kinds) and garlic. Garlic will cure any bacterial infection, the raw is better or light cooking in broth (a minute or less) will kill a lot of infections. Not viral, but bacterial. Elderberries are great anti virals! Freeze them and use the berries as a tea in the winter.

A great book on nutrition is "nourishing traditions" by Sally Fallon. Shows where we are all going wrong with processed foods and tells a lot about the dangers of unsoaked grains. Great read!

Good source for herbs: horizonherbs.com especially cone flowers specific to your area.

Good luck! If you aren't worried about a little hard work and some set backs, you will do well!

• oklahawg
    16 years ago

Economically, a Selmer Mark VI is expensive but the sound will more than make up for it.

Oh, back to gardening.

Avoid, at least at first, plants that are not even remotely native. I planted some cool stuff that just didn't quite work: "hardy" kiwi (tore up my water bill and the OK heat + a couple of false springs killed them off after 8 years with only minimal returns), seaberry (invasive).

Peaches, which the entire family loves, are almost impossible to grow organically. I have only had a handful make it to harvest and they weren't even close to organically grown.

Now, if you can plant in the shade and have natural water resources around the hardy kiwi are a fun, fast-growing crop. My kids ate them straight off the vine. This is one that takes planning.

Want something odd in the garden? Try Goumi. Yummy, easy to grow and they aren't even remotely invasive.

• aureliajulia
    16 years ago

It also depends where in zone 8 you are. Zone 8 in Texas, Oregan, and South Coastal SC are very different things!

I think the easiest things I've ever grown are grape tomatos and the pretty-colored bell peppers. Both are costly in the grocery store. I grew them in pots in my yard with little effort, and they grew quickly, so the return gratification was fast. Simple. I got them at Walmart too, so great for a beginner.

This link may help (or make it harder!), scroll down to the veggies!

Here is a link that might be useful: Salivation Page

• Ann
    16 years ago

Try contacting the nearest big university's agriculture dept for suggestions for what fruit trees will grow in your area without chemicals. I was able to fill up a rather large area just with those recommended here in Maryland. Pick the best spot for the trees, then you can fill in with veggies, etc.
    Ann