Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dethride

Sea Buckthorn, how has it done for you?

dethride
16 years ago

I have one male and one Leikora female and just found my Golden Sweet dead. All are three years old. We had a cold snap and that did the trick, I think. I read that they were very cold hardy even down to -40! I really wanted the G. Sweet! I have well drained soil low in nitro but it croaked anyway. Anyone with G. Sweet suckers willing to send me one? I'll pay, of course. I'm fascinated with these shrubs and hope to get them producing in the next few years. I need a good source of vitamin c for health problems and they show promise ...unless they croak!

Comments (13)

• chills71
    15 years ago

I had problems getting them established for a couple years. I even tried some of the more pricey cultivars (Star of Altai I think), but after killing the more pricey ones I figured I'd try once more with seedling plants from Burnt Ridge Nursery. (I had also bought my others from there and elsewhere as well).

This time I planted, mulched heavily and it seems they have survived.

Others have noted this plant may be tough as nails once established, but getting it established can be difficult.

~Chills

• garden_n_mom
    15 years ago

I got mine (male and Leikora Female) used and abused from my dad. They had been left in pots for 2 or more years without water in full sun. Well, I took them and planted them and they were doing great until someone stole (yes, stole) my male. Now, I just have the loveley female and she is doing just wonderful. I just leave her alone except for water and good soil and she's happy. From my experience, these can take quite a beating.

garden_n_mom

• oklahawg
    15 years ago

They were too invasive for my yard. I had them right on the side of the yard and the roots ran under the fence. I suspect the neighbor sprayed something on them as two of my three died. This after 3-4 years of amazing growth and durability.

I won't replant, even if they were tasty and the birds loved them.

• markinu
    15 years ago

I am interested in growing some sea-buckthorn trees for my own use. I did some research online and ended more confused with the cultivars available. I want to ask for some advice.

The characteristic I want is high nutritional content (vitamin C, carotenoids and Vitamin E).
    Ease of picking, and high yield, would be nice to have but not on the top of my priorities. Being palatable without having to be cooked would be nice
    I guess a deep orange color means more carotenoids.

These are the varieties I could find for sale online:

Frugana
    Hergo
    Juliet
    Leikora
    Orange Energy
    Askola
    Baikal Ruby
    Baikal
    Botanika
    Golden Sweet
    Organe DElight
    Radiant
    Russian orange
    Siberian Splendor
    Star of Altai
    Sunny
    Titan
    Dorana
    Sirola

Could anyone please indicate 3 cultivars that match the characteristics I want, especially nutritional content?

• lkz5ia
    15 years ago

I would say to ask one green world. I know they sell them and will answer questions you have.

• mudflapper
    15 years ago

I have planted Siberian Spelender and Sunny, both are suppose to be sweet enough to be eaten fresh, but we well see if that is true in about two years from now. The nutrition should be very high for all of them but the thorns are nasty so a good pair of gloves will be needed.
    Ken

• Tom DeCoste
    13 years ago

Hello,
    I have had good luck this year with a variety of cultivars of seabuckthorn. Also, the seeds I have planted are surviving well. Just a quick note here this morning, but there is more information on my blog. You are invited to look and comment.
    http://seaberry-hippophaerhamnoides.blogspot.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: Seaberry / Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides)

• sarah93
    13 years ago

I have a Frugana that is simply wonderful. I didn't realized what these plants were until the middle of last winter---the previous owner of the property had planted a male, an unidentified female and a female tagged as Frugana. The identified female produced only a few berries last year and this year, but the Frugana was loaded both years. The taste is very much to my liking---sweet and astringent like a very tart citrus juice. I don't add much sugar when I make juice for me as I like astringent but my family prefers much more added sugar. A little goes a long way, and I find having some juice on hand in the fridge is quite refreshing added to a glass of cold water.

The bushes are about 7 feet tall, are in well-drained sandy loam soil and we haven't done a thing with them except mow around them. Their gray-green leaves are quite pretty--especially with the orange berries. I'm guessing they are somewhere around 6-7 years old.

They have impressive thorns but someone gave me the tip to just snip the berry clusters off and freeze them. This works like a charm; the berries are easy to knock off and I don't even need to wear gloves.

I don't know why the second female is not producing much fruit, but she's pretty enough and effortless enough that she can stay.

I am so glad the previous owner left these!

• texashomesteader
    13 years ago

Just wondering how this type of bush and fruit will perform out in Northeast Texas? We have pretty hot and humid summers and moderately cold winters with periods that warm up in the middle of winter. I've not tried them yet and wondered if I should bother. A lot of the plants which Raintree promotes don't like our Texas summers.

Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated.

• SeaBuckthornInsider
    12 years ago

I don't know what SBT bushes would work out well in Northeast Texas but Sea Buckthorn is a real surviver! It can grow in frozen tundras, sea coasts, and barren dry heat. As far as what results these environments have on the plant I'm unsure.

If you know please check out our blog and add it to our cultivation article or where you see fit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sea Buckthorn Insider - The Authority on Sea Buckthorn

• Konrad___far_north
    11 years ago

So...how do these sweet one's taste? Sweet or sweet and bitter?

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    11 years ago

I had some juice once at One Green World,which they said was about 60% and it was more sweet than bitter,but quite medicine like.I didn't take another sample.
    Some people really like it mixed with orange juice.

• Tom DeCoste
    10 years ago

I have had great luck with seed grown unsexed plants. I will have to wait until they flower to see what I have - male/female ratio of the sea buckthorn plants. My blog has a listing of sources of unsexed and varietal plants. If you know of others I missed, please let me know and I will add them so people have as many choices as possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where can I buy Seaberry Seabuckthorn Hippophae rhamoides ?