Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolagardner_gw

Amelanchier Laevis or Autumn Brilliance thoughts?

lolagardner
13 years ago

Hi All,

Forgive me if you've seen this post elsewhere. I've been trying to get a few different opinions from people who have experience and it was suggested to post here..

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've decided on serviceberry as a specimen tree for my small brooklyn back yard. I'm looking for something that is going to max out around 15-20'. I have slightly acidic clay loam and 4hrs sun increasing with height. My garden center has a beautifully shaped laevis which my landlord prefers and some nice autumn brilliance. They may possibly be getting a Diana as well. I want to plant the tree before I seed the lawn so I will not see it in leaf or flower. Anyone have a recommendation either way? Its so difficult finding info on size and habit of the amelanchier. Some sites list laevis as 40' and some list it as 15'. Any in ground experience would be helpful. Here are the factors I would like to know more about to compare and contrast. Looks since it will be a specimen, fruiting abundance, shade tolerance, the amount of shade it casts (if one has more of an open canopy than the other or cast a smaller area of shade), heat and humidity tolerance, and height. If anyone can address any of these issues for either cultivar I'd be most greatfull!

Many thanks!

Comments (4)

• Jeremy_lizer_net
    13 years ago

Amelanchier is a wonderful Genus that has many diferent cultivars in production. Autumn Brilliance is an old standby which was discovered at the University of Wisconsin-Madison by Professor Ed Hasselkus. Phenominal in all aspects, but is probably too large for your needs... it will get to 20-25' tall and 20+' wide and tends to be a little less "formed." Princess Diana is a cultivar that is well formed, but will reach about the same dimensions.

If you are seeking a cultivar that is more constrained for your space, I would suggest you look for the Cumulus Serviceberry, Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Cumulus'. Although it will reach 20-25' in height, it is more narrow, only reaching 15' in width. It is a prolific flowerer, looking nearly like a fresh fallen snow. It's fruit is 3/8" and delicious!!! (if you can get to it befor the birds).

If you can find it, Cole's Select Serviceberry, Amelanchier x grandiflora 'Cole's Select,' is yet a smaller cultivar reaching only 20' hight and 15' wide. Great form, flower, berry, and fall color.

Hope this helps...

• angel_z5
    13 years ago

I recommend the Autumn Brilliance (Amelanchier x grandiflora). I looked into the different cultivars 10 years ago, and that is what I went with. I have two, each about 12ft high and 6ft wide. Beautiful flowers and great fruit. I suggest the 'clump' bush type typically sold by nurseries, not the tree type. The Canadesis type seems to be smaller, scrawnier, currently about 9 feet high. I also have one of these, that I think the nursery labelled incorrectly as Aut.Bri. :-( Check here for some pics. http://www.pfaf.org
    I agree with pfaf.org that the Autumn Brilliance has fantastic fruit (5 stars by pfaf)! A little better than my Canadensis. Get one in the ground asap, if you can, and have the berries in June!
    I am not familiar with the Cole, posted above. I think you will be happy with any cultivar.

I am curious, are you interested in the fruit??

Always an...Angel

• lolagardner
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the advice Angel and Landescaped! Sorry for the delay in response. There seems to be a glitch with my membership. I have yet to receive an alert when I receive a response to my question. Any how that's another story. I didn't see either of your posts before we bought the tree. We went with the Laevis. It was just so beautifully branched and well formed that we couldn't help ourselves! So far it hasn't disappointed.. the bark is the most beautiful color. When in low light it turns almost a lavender silver, and in the rain it goes bright brick red or pink. Landescaped the Cumulus sounds wonderful. Thanks for all the factual info! Angel I am interested in the fruit.. for myself and the birds. We had to chop down an old failing euyonomus that was in decline which the birds loved and wanted to replace it with some wildlife value. Because of our limited sun its difficult to grow a lot of edibles so anything that produces fruit in our situation is a big big plus. The Laevis was an older tree so the height was too tempting. Our next door neighbor has a jungle gym that is taller than the fence and a very talkative kid so we needed to block that asap! I digress. Thanks again!!!!

• Alice nithya
    3 years ago

Am looking for a serviceberry thats well formed and dense enough to give some privacy...any suggestions?

Sponsored