Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edible Landscaping Ideas

Posted by dclegg Central Florida (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 8, 09 at 10:35

I live in Central Florida The VIllages 25 miles South of Ocala. I need some suggestions for edible landscaping that will survive in this area. I am thinking blueberries, but don't know which ones to get. I would like them about 5 feet tall to use as a privacy hedge. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edible Landscaping Ideas

Surinam cherry makes a nice privacy hedge. It is evergreen and has glossy green leaves. I have never tasted the fruit. It is edible, but most people don't love the taste.

Sunshine Blue blueberry does well in central Florida. It is a short bush though and maybe best in a container where soil ph can be controlled.

Mulberry trees, pineapple (where I am in Pinellas county at least), blackberry, and obviously orange trees do well.

o

whatis your zone

o

blueberry bushes are so ugly

o

Looks like you're in Zone 8b, according the National Gardening Association's Zip Code/Hardiness Zone matcher.
Here are some ideas for hedge plantings:
Juneberry (aka-serviceberry, saskatoon, shadbush)Has blossoms, fall color and attractive bark in winter; fruit is like wild blueberries) Likes full sun but tolarates partial shade especially in your zone.
American Elderberry-grows 6-12 feet, but you can prune it to 5' if you want. It has fragrant white flowers in spring. The fruit is larger than gooseberries but with a similar flavor + they don't have as many thorns!.
Quince can be used as a small specimin tree, shrub or shrub border
Rose Hips are good shrub borders with flowers and fruits
Seaberry makes a good specimen hedge or shrub border.
Blueberry bushes are actually great for landscape as well as edibles. Pretty flowers in spring, delicious fruit and then beautiful fall color...orange to red. For Zone 8 try Jersey or Elizabeth varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here