Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rhubarb

Posted by too_old NE Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 11:54

I used to get a supply of rhubarb from my my dad's garden but he died about ten years ago and mom sold the homestead. Since then I haven't had a piece of rhubarb pie or a side of rhubarb sauce. It's time to plant my own and I found some room in an island I have in my yard. I gave up on a garden years ago because of the critters but I can afford some room among the ornamental grass and a few other deer resistant ornamentals. I have two questions before I begin. First, is rhubarb deer resistant? Secondly, are there cultivars that are more suited to cooking than others. Choices appear to be limited in the area, in fact I couldn't even find rhubarb at the garden centers last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rhubarb

My first thought was that since rhubarb leaves are poisonous, the deer would leave them alone. A quick google search provides examples of deer eating rhubarb, but this plant is also listed as being one of the more resistant choices. Even if rhubarb plants are eaten down to the ground, there is a good chance that it will come back. I think it would be worth giving it a try, rhubarb is too good not to...

Don't know about the varieties - I like the ones with bright red stalks for appearance alone, but have cooked with both red a green stalks.

Good luck

o

Nourse Farms carries rhubarb. I'm sure there are other places you can order from as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nourse Farms

o

Any red rhubarb is a good choice. I've never seen any damaged by deer. I like Canada Red and Crimson Red myself. Both are excellent and productive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here