Return to the Edible Landscape Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
River Birch = Water

Posted by bubbalove 7 Central AL (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 13:29

Just an odd story. My mother has a couple of River Birches in her yard. I had to cut a few low hanging branches, no bigger in diameter than my thumb. They started dripping (which lasted for three or four days).
I got curious and put a coffee cup under one. It tasted like pure water and I'm guessing about as filtered as you can get, after going through the whole vascular system of a tree.
It struck me that it might be good in a survival situation. You'd be near water (hence the name) but I doubt water from the tree would have any parasites or amoebas.
B.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: River Birch = Water

Exactly, great survival source for water. Actually birch sap can be boiled down for syrup just like trees in the maple family. Just google birch syrup and you'll be amazed at the price for a pint of syrup ($18). The fact is.....

Maple sap to syrup ratio....40:1
Birch sap to syrup ratio....100:1

Time to start a boilin' bubba!

Peace,
Little John

o
RE: River Birch = Water

Little John,
I think that was actually water, not sap, that I was drinking (It didn't taste sweet). I was thinking it is water that the tree has sucked-up and hasn't reached the leaves yet. Maybe after the leaves, chlorophyll and sunlight it is then turned into sap, with sugar? What do you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Edible Landscape Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here